Walk Cycle WIP

It appears I need to set up a new “offset” bone that moves when the feet does this allows the NLA strip to repeat and allows the character to move forward seamlessly - I am having so much trouble because I am using my own built rig.

UPDATE July20th 4:45pm
Walk cycle attempt 16

July 20 update 10:37am update re worked this and now just need to make small changes and move the body around slightly more.see how the shoudler doesnt even move, that needs to be changed , as well as adding small movements to the motion of the head.

Okay,he should be moving constantly,
and his moving speed towards the “goal” if you will should be nearly constant.
The movement of the feet and the swing of the arms should overlap,
should swing somewhat together,overlap,
and the arms should lag behind the feet at certain points.
Is this your own rig?
I would personally go with mancandy as he is easy to use,
yet very capable. Ludwidge is also a good rig.
You have to set the goal(Now repeating walk cycle I haven’t gotten there still haven’t learned) like a full cycle make it so the IPO is correct(the root that would move everything but the feed)
I’ve just spent lots of time observing people walking,
methods of implementing it into a character and so on.

Man I wish I wouldn’t have erased my animation with the BBB squirrel,
I actually had walkcycle just don’t know how to repeat it.

try to make the forward movement more continuos. Right now there is a moment when nothing movies, the feet are on the ground and the body doesn’t move either.

If you can find some videos of people casually walking, it might be a good idea to study how different body parts move while walking.

I would analyze your own walk,like walk towards a mirror.
Trust me it takes lots of time,sometimes you get far and sometimes you don’t.

Thanks so much for the comments - This is my rig and a slightly modified mesh that was bought for a few $$.

I might end up restarting this walk cycle based on the comments - getting him to move frorward linearly is going to be quite a challenge - but ultimatley if I want to use thsi it has to be refined and redone.

I would have used a pre-made rig but I am so new to blender it was easier to build an armature and figure out how to rig it to the mesh - now I could probbaly use a better rig liek mancandy but its rewarding to have built and rigged this armature / mesh.

I will spend another couple hours on what I have before I re-do everything.

1. The feet/legs are taking huge “strides”, more like a run than a walk.

2. The feet are sliding around, you need to keyframe the foot controls, even if when you’re not moving them

3. The torso should be more “in sync” with the leading leg, unless you are deliberately animating an “out of ordinary walk cycle”, e.g. a “sneak”.

http://www.hash.com/animationcontest/blairpages/biped.htm

thanks for the tips guys I iwll re-work this for about an hour an post an update to post #2 around 3pm.

smooth flow forward is the key here - thanks check back around 10am tuesday 02

bump - I need help - see post #2

You can be assured that no one’s “first step” was perfect.
Keep practising you’ll get it right finally.

bump for progress!! see post #2

he should transfer the weight from side to side when he walks
it looks like his hips are moving straight ahead

it should also be more fluid
it seems that there are a couple of spots where he slows down and then speeds up again
might be on every step he makes
check that all your key frames and IPO curves to make sure the key frames are evenly spaced in the cycle

Is this your first walk cycle? Attempting a realistic character is difficult. Your progress is very noticeable. Waylow is correct about the hips. makes the back seem to stiff. also you ankles need a little flexibility in movement. You dont see to many attempts in this forum on stuff like this. Wonder why that is…Cuz its hard…Dont give up you are making excelent progress.

thanks for the crits - I will work on work on the movement of the hips - having him travel forward linerly is the hardest part so far…

is this a static walk - or does he actually move forward inside the action?

Originally I built him walking forward, someone talked me out of it, I cant even remember why - eventually I will set it up with an offset bone to move him forward

new update coming soon.

July 20 update 10:37am update re worked this and now just need to make small changes and move the body around slightly more.see how the shoudler doesnt even move, that needs to be changed , as well as adding small movements to the motion of the head.