walk

I’m attempting to create a walk cycle that looks somewhat realistic for a game. Here is what I’ve come up with so far:
http://roia.servegame.org/images/0001_0080.avi
The model is a simple one.

How do you get it to do the sequence more than once?
Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.

It’s a nice try, but if you’re going for realism, you have to tweak it a lot.

Don’t animate at 80 frames/walkcycle. Games are usually animated at 15 frames per second and it takes 16 frames to complete one step at normal speed.

The feet are sliding a lot. There are some new features coming in next version of Blender, which should help a lot

In the meantime you can use the ghost setting in the pose mode to make the feet not slide.

Not sure I follow you on this. I’m really a n00b at animating. How many steps/frames should a typical walkcycle be for a game? Should the cycle start and stop at exactly the same position?

Yes, the walkcycle should start and end in the same position and you should achieve the starting position in 16 frames.

Doing it in such a low number of frames forces you to keep the keyframes and timing clean. It’s lot less work and the rest will be interpolated quite acceptable.

I’m not very experienced with animation either. This is my first walkcycle, which I’ve done a couple of months ago. It’s still pretty rough, I haven’t had time to work on it since, but there are some points visible, which you should probably follow, too

• don’t let the feet slide
  • keep the count of keyframes low
  • open the knees
  • try to do a bounce

I’m sure better animators on this forum than me, will be able to extend this list

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5152/spa6.gif

Try giving it’s back some play, too. Its good, overall, but anything that adds to the conception of walking. rotating shoulders, outturned feet on the step, etc. also remember that all actions in an average walk cycle are curves. arms swing like pendelums. rotate the spine, too to accentuate the step and arm swing.