Wall-E hype and expections

May contain spoilers

I’ve been on holiday for a few days and I’ve just taken my kids to see ‘Wall-E’, ‘Kung Fu Panda’ and an older film in the special kids morning slot, called ‘Azur and Asma’ (2D/3D).

I thought Wall-E was a good film and can certainly recommend it, but am I the only one to think it is over hyped? Technically and visually Pixar delivered a treat but I felt it couldn’t keep this going once the robots left Earth and returned to the space hotel. It felt like Pixar panicked about the first half and thought they had better return to more formulaic fare just in case they couldn’t meet their merchandising targets…I could watch the first half over and over again.

KFP is full on entertainment from the start requiring very little of your precious grey matter. After the disappointing Shrek the Third, it was a reminder that DreamWorks still have the ability to produce top-notch entertainment full of choreographed action sequences and grade one gags.

The irony is that Wall-E was the first film chosen my my kids but overall they enjoyed KFP more. In fact, much of Wall-E was too subtle for them to understand, but on the other hand, maybe that’s down to my kids!!!

However, perhaps the most surprising film was ‘Azur and Asma, The Princes Quest’, a 2D/3D film with dialogue in both English and Arabic but without subtitles. After the opening scene containing animated breastfeeding I looked at my kids, and I wondered if I had taken them to the right movie! However, I have to say that in the end it was a rather enchanting film with a very unique visual style. The original film was in French/Arabic.

Overall a good trio of films to recommend.

P.S. I do like how Pixar produce a short before the main feature. Presto was very good, like the best of Tom and Jerry. I wish that more short films were shown at cinemas.

P.P.S I’m not against breastfeeding.

I actually went and saw Wall-E a few weeks ago. I thought the opening gag, Presto–or whatever it was called–was much better than the actual show. Visually, Wall-E was okay… but what can you expect from a planet that has become inhospitable and a cruise-spaceship. I prefer previous titles by Pixar over Wall-E.

I echo your thoughts completely – except for the “Azur” film which I have not seen.

I haven’t seen WALL-E

I thought Wall-E was a masterpiece, and although the spaceship part did get a little bit tedious in some parts, I thought they pulled it off amazingly well for such a large audience base. The visuals were the best to come out of Pixar, and overall, I thought it was the best movie to come out of Pixar, right up there with Toy Story, my other favorite. I’ve got a big cinema poster of Wall-E on my wall :slight_smile:

As for Kung Fu Panda, I thought the visuals were nice, but the story was crap and I felt embarrassed watching it in the theater. In my opinion people have been overyhyping how good KFP is, while I didn’t enjoy it anywhere near as much as Wall-E. KFP’s story was ridiculously easy to follow along with, and didn’t show or teach me anything that I didn’t already know, namely that you don’t need super duper magic powers to be able to handle yourself. I mean come on, that is practically an insult for anyone over the age of 10 to not already know that.

I can’t comment on Azur as I haven’t seen it.

what is Wall-E?

So how has it been living under a rock?

the 1st half of Wall E is borderline genius

I look at CG movies like Pixar’s and Shrek and such very differently than most. I look at these movies as “good” if they have that Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck funny with good humor and physical routines. I never Watched Final Fantasy and never plan to. Movies that are CG-made-to-look-real defeat the reason of watching them FOR ME.

My opinion only, but I go to see Pixar movies because they are CARTOONS and Wall-E wasn’t as much of a cartoon as was KFP. Shrek sucked. That’s my opinion.

am I the only one to think it is over hyped? Technically and visually Pixar delivered a treat but I felt it couldn’t keep this going once the robots left Earth and returned to the space hotel. It felt like Pixar panicked about the first half and thought they had better return to more formulaic fare just in case they couldn’t meet their merchandising targets
I too feel Pixar dropped their cookies and decided to go for a action-and-oh-noes ending. Over-hyped? I dunno. Maybe it’s just the fact that we eventually learn not to pay attention to those marketers promising to ‘sweep you away’ and decide to enjoy the film as it truly comes.

I say it again: isn’t it fun that they talk about garbage problems when they plan to stuff our noses with every possible bit of Wall-E merchandise?

KFP was your typical, primarily for kids summer film. I just kicked back and decided to have fun, knowing well it wasn’t going to be tought-provokong, or the subject of any discussion worth having. It was kinda fun, but sort of irrelevant.

Shrek sucked.
If you mean the third, I heartily agree. I still like the first two.

Well… the only reason why I ended up seeing Wall-e was because of the glowing reviews after it was released. I really thought it was going to be dumb and the comedy was going to just going to make it feel cheap or something… but I was wrong.

I’ve seen that movie about 5 times so far, more times than any other movie in theaters before. I just really liked the character development, the artistic style and the characters them selves. The music was great too.

@CubOfJudahsLion

The first Shrek was good, the 2nd was OK, but yeah, the 3rd was TERRIBLE!

Its prolly just me, but I thoroughly enjoyed KFP, but I guess that happens when you don’t expect too much.

As for Wall-E, I’ve been seeing mixed reviews about it so far from both forums posters such as yourself, and magazine/website/formal review thingies.
I’ll post my commentries when I saw Wall-E, prolly this weekend.
Unfortunately, my technical knowledge about these things are not that elaborated, so I’ll stick with being superficial^^

Another CG masterpiece from the Pixar shop. I enjoyed it like a kid. The second part is great. Great lighting in the ship scenes and great great shading.

isn’t it fun that they talk about garbage problems when they plan to stuff our noses with every possible bit of Wall-E merchandise?

yep, Pixar makes most of the money from merchandising, four or five times the money they make with the movie itself.