Wall explosion camera tracking

After months (on and off) of experimenting and trial and error I’ve finally found a workflow to match CGI with real world footage. I put this video together roughly just as a proof of concept since I’m not very good at compositing.

http://www.vimeo.com/8262340

Please note that this footage were not shot with this in mind hence the messy apartment and my gf and baby :stuck_out_tongue:

Real world footage shot on Canon EOS 500D
3d and rendering: Blender 3d 2.49
Compsiting: After effects CS3

Regards,
ezpRado

how did you do that?:confused:

Pretty good!!

awesome! What motion tracker did you use?

@ Bionicle: I remodeled most of the geometry in the real world scene at the frame the explosion happens. Then I UV project textures from the footage to the 3d geometry. Then i used the Fracture script to “split” the geometry into seperate meshes and apply rigid body physics, then I crash a object through the wall while recording game engine physics to ipo.

@ Axelh92: It’s a couple of months since I did the tracking so I don’t really remember :stuck_out_tongue: But it was either PfHoe Pro or Icarus.

Wow, that is great.

where is this so called “Fracture” script you are talking about?

i went through the scripts in Blender and i couldnt find it, and on the blender.org site. Where can i get this script?

Sorry, I should’ve mentioned; http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=145074&highlight=fracture+script

I didn’t quite know how to use this script so I just opened the .Blend, saved the Fractureme3d script as a text file which I opened in text editor within my scene and ran it with the meshes selected

Regards,
ezpRado

That’s really realistic :D,but how did you capture the image behind the wall?

@TheCroc: I took several images with a still image camera and stitched them to a panorama image and applied it to a plane in the background.

how did u get the animation to look realtime? When i record game physics to IPO, the animation is slow and it looks like the matrix. How can i speed it up other than going into each ipo and scaling it down?

And what frame rate was the camera recording at? was it a HD comp, did you have to convert the media to an image sequence first?

Awesome!

+1 for the breastfeeding finale

@blazr_raidr: In the “World” button under the tab “mist/stars/physics” you can set the fps for the Bulletphysics. For this video I set the physics to 20 fps while the rendered animation was 30 fps. You can play with the relation of these two to get the desired speed.

@3pointEdit: The footage was shot in 720p at 30fps as a H.264 formatted .mov file. No need to convert to sequence.

Regards,
ezpRado

sorry, doublepost. Don’t know how to delete :o

ok, thanks ezpRado. But when i decrease the fps for the physics, pieces of the wall go through my ground, while at a higher fps, the pieces don’t go through. Its really annoying me. Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks

I noticed that when I decreased the physics fps the simulation behaved a little different. But I turned “log”, “phys” and “sub” up to 5 as I think it increases the physics accuracy. Also it may help to subdivide your ground and make sure it’s thicker than just a plane. I also set my ground as Convex Hull bounds.

I’m far from a bullet expert but I’m more than willing to share settings to help you! :wink:
As mentioned I used month’s to get this working.

Regards,
ezpRado

That scared the piss outta me lol, my speakers were turned way up.

Great work :slight_smile:

@ezpRado thanks, that worked fine!

i made a little tutorial for using this script:

Enjoy!