Wanna see some state of the art 3D animation?

There’s some right here:

Hold on a second, I need to pick my jaw up off the floor.

Good find!

I’ve known about this company Image Metrics for a good while now. The software isn’t competition for real, key-framing animation, fortunately. Animation is great because you can do whatever you want, not because you are bound by the laws of physics. It is interesting stuff though, but personally I would never use it in an animation.

its getting there, but this demo is pretty deceptive. it starts off saying “what you are about to see is a wholly computer generated animation. emily is not real.”

but after a little research, turns out emily o’brien is not only real, but is represented in non-cg form in every aspect of the video except her face. add to that the fact that her face is generated from photographic textures and gemetrical scans, and driven by video taped performance, and you are left with very little “generated” by a computer.

god, you guys are such total buzzkills, man.

:frowning:

I can’t tell if it’s the motion capture or the actor that makes her feel wooden… Either way, Pixar’s characters still seem more real to me.

Edit: @shteeve: Wait, what? Apparently I have to reread that page…

Just saw this on Fark and thought it was pretty cool… not “uncanny valley” cool but still pretty neat :smiley:

superx10: The uncanny valley is a very bad thing… :confused:

True that!

By this I meant crossing the uncanny valley which would be a huge achievement in computer animation.

I googled the name and watched the demo at the top of there sight, http://www.image-metrics.com/. It is a very close match to the expressions of the actress, but the textures and stuff on the animated face are kind of average looking for what people are doing with straight modeling. I don’t see why they couldn’t have copied the actress in the model better, perhaps it shows too many glitches that way. Having to have an actor for everything sounds expensive, pretty prohibitive additional expense to a game sounds like to me.
jf

I’m actually a little scared. If they can fabricate things to that level of reality - what’s next? While its obvious it won’t happen tomorrow, what about the next 15-20 years? What if this got in the hands of say, an untrustworthy government?

I actually had that thought as well. I mean… look how far CG has come in 20 years. In another decade will it be possible to convincingly fake a human entirely? The government (the government, mind you… not some company… the US government) demonstrated it’s abilities to forge a person’s voice almost flawlessly almost exactly 10 years ago. Think where that technology must be today.

This is only further killing my buzz.

I’d give it 10 years for truly unnoticable differences in real life and 3D animation. Just you guys wait.

I think it’s pointless.

For effects shots that last seconds, I could see a use, but then the super-punch from The Matrix still looks awesome today, despite it’s use of older technology.

I’m not actually that impressed with it. I mean, it’s still very good looking, but they missed the most important part - Animation. Even though it’s all mocap, it still looks bad. It looks like they didn’t really try getting the facial rig working properly and up to par with the rest, which looked amazing.

I think the 10 to 20 year timeframe sounds about right. These guys seem to be working on rotoscoping facial features. It looks like they taped the actress speaking the lines, then their software built a cg rig to mimic the facial movements which they then matched to the plates. Sooner or later they’ll manage doing lip synch to a voiceover. I wonder whether they picked someone named Emily because of the AI software program that emulated talking to a therapist named Emily? Or was that Eliza?

I’m not sure it makes a whole lot of economic sense, though. They hired the actress for, what, a couple hundred bucks, then spent a couple thousand paying animators to duplicate that minute and a half of footage? There might be a market for businesses that want to ‘personalize’ their automated customer support websites, but the AI will have to get a lot better before it starts fooling anyone. It’s not only got to get through Uncanny Valley, it’s got to pass the Turing Test.

It’s not an improvement in realism, it’s an improvement of capture technology that leads to realistic animation.