Warning don't go overclocking your RAM.

I too have a MSI X99 motherboard with a 5820K CPU that I have overclocked, but in this case I just used the BIOS’s big “Overclock” button. It doesn’t push the system all the way, but It’s been real solid for about 3 years now. My CPU is running at 3.8 Ghz and I think the memory has a bit of a boost as well (I don’t know how much though).

If you really want a big boost in performance (but don’t want to risk hardware failure by running parts out of spec.). Your Ryzen motherboard should be able to accept an upgrade to next year’s Ryzen 2 processor which is rumored to be a major leap.

Though on Ryzen systems in general, Ryzen+ at least is usually good enough at getting itself to optimal speeds (because of XFR2 and Precision Boost 2) that overclocking the chip itself does not gain a ton of performance. Ryzen 2 meanwhile is rumored to improve on those things further when it comes out.

Though your total performance benefit from the next generation processor may be limited if you have a first-gen Ryzen board (which is why many people tend to skip the first generation if they can).

i ve never successfully upgraded a CPU to another generation, it almost inevitably will lack the memory bandwidth to feed the new CPU. I think it would the same if i tried to feed a Zen 2 with my DDR4 2400mhz, even if i do run it at 2800mhz. I bet DDR5 sneaks out the door with the Zen 2. But they won’t advertise it much, because they might discourage all the punters trying to upgrade in their old boards.