Warping meshes in 2.35

I haven’t had a need to use the warp function since I did the “Amazing Warped Text” tutorial in the BlenderDoc.

One day after moving to 2.35, I need to use it and it seems to behave very differently. I can’t get my head around how to control the warping function now. Before it would just warp around the 3d cursor.

I opened up my “Amazing Warped Text” tutorial .blend and discovered that I’m not crazy, the warp tool is behaving very differently. Anyone know how to make it behave as it did before?

What’s it doing that’s so whacky? I don’t remember well enough to see a diffs.

%<

Well… I can’t quite explain it really… that’s the reason for the vagueness in my original post… Here’s my best attempt anyway.

Before, the object would stretch like a rubber band being pulled across a basketball.

Now it’s more like an oriental fan that’s anchored at the center. The top and bottom get thicker in an arc around the center. If you move the centerpoint over to the side it does something that I still can’t manage to exlain…

First off, the whole object jumps in position and then gets all crazy mobius-strippy… or something.

I don’t think there’s any problem with the warp tool in 2.35…

I tested it with a text object converted to Mesh (as in the tutorial) and it seems it’s still working very “sweet”…

Most problems occur because of the geometry of your object…

Maybe you should ‘subdivide smooth’ your object a couple of times, in order to get more and (mostly) smoothly “positioned” vertices…

The location of the 3D cursor, related to your object’s middle point, also has an effect on the warp function…

From what I’ve noticed, one hell of a good improvement in the warp tool is that the “effect” is no more constrained on the Top view any more (as it was in previous versions). Now you can warp your object not only in the Top, but also in the front and Side and even in non-orthogonal views… Use your imagination for possible uses… :wink:

Screenshot:

http://www.illusion-digital.com/wip/warp.jpg

Hope it helps…

Oh, and happy Blending… :smiley: