Wastwater WIP

#1

A new landscape ‘painting’ project. This was voted Britain’s Favourite View a few year’s ago. It is the famous Wast Water (or Wastwater) viewpoint in the English Lake District.

Uses DTM data from DEFRA (1m). QGIS used to clean and clip the data to what I want. Also used QGIS to create masks for the lake, woodland, roads and - to come - locations of the buildings. I also used QGIS to create some of the basic colour maps to use in Gaea (or Mixer or Blender, if I need to use one of these later on).
Gaea to convert to a mesh. For a change, I’ve also used Gaea for all of the texturing apart from the water (for this ‘style’ it has worked quite well). Used Blender to mix in the water material.
Rendered in Blender. Trees from botaniq. Uses the standard sky texture with a sky backplate. Only 200 samples. Optix denoiser (will increase samples once I get close to my ‘beauty’ render)
All post processing done in Photoshop.

11 Likes

Sometimes I just don’t understand this forum. There are so many great renders like this one that go totally unnoticed.
Dude this wip is already looking almost like a real thing!
Keep it up man!

2 Likes

It’s a beautiful render already! :slight_smile: Congratulations

1 Like

I agree with the others, this is a beautiful render. Can’t wait to see the final!

1 Like

@ikhimaz @rogper @Daf57 Thank you for your kind words - they are very much appreciated!!

2 Likes

#2

Tweaks:

  • Amended the main material a bit - also keep playing with the post processing in Photoshop - particularly the colour grading and trying to perfect the ‘painterly’ effect I like.

  • Added a subtle amount of mist (tried volumetrics but couldn’t be bothered to wait for the increased render time - might persevere with that, but for now just a simple mist pass - might have overdone it a tad though. Think I prefer #1)

  • Added footpaths (from OSM) and the main road (but hard to see at this angle).

Still more to do. Although Wastwater isn’t particularly verdant, there needs to be a bit more in the way of random shrubbery. Critiques welcomed.

#3

More tweaks:

  • More random bushes scattered about the place (quite detrimental to render times with only limited improvement in image… perhaps when I notch up the resolution)

  • Included the only building you would really be able to see from here (Bowderdale Farm, just peaking out between some trees… as it does in real life).

… and so on.

#3a - Same as #3 but without the painterly post processing. This is more ‘straight out of the camera’ with only minimal tweaking to colour.

1 Like

#4

Colour variation (subtle) in the trees, added some sheep in the fields (extremely small!), finally managed to get some rotational variation in the trees too (that was causing me more trouble than it should have done - such a noob!)

I think this is pretty much done. Maybe some final test renders looking at different light, sky and resolution.

4 Likes

Scene 2

#1

Variation on a theme - but this time pulling out to see the famous ‘Wastwater Screes’. Lots to do in terms of lighting, texture, vegetation, buildings etc… if I can be bothered or get time (heavy two or three weeks of real life work coming up… BOOO! :slight_smile: )

As with scene 1 - post processing for a more painterly look in photoshop. Trees from botaniq. Main terrain material Gaea. Terrain created using data from DEFRA, cleaned and prepped in QGIS (along with OS and OSM data for position of geographic features - although some masks created by hand using PS and aerial photography). Sky is a backplate - using basic sky texture.

#2 - Updated with corrected normals. Not sure I like the material on the ‘screes’ - we’re too close, so they look a bit naff. May have to do something more detailed. :frowning: