Watch

Here’s a little project I’m still working on.

I kinda feel like the links closer to the camera need some specularity, but I don’t know. What do you think?

http://www.micaiahchisholm.com/Watch.jpg

Here’s an update after seeing the first three comments. I’m not sure if it looks like much more than a change in light direction. I think it’s somewhat improved. Any thoughts? And yes, I know about the dof. One thing at a time.

http://www.micaiahchisholm.com/Watch3.jpg

BLENDER SUPPORTS HDRI?!! WHEN? WHERE? HOW?

This… changes… everything…

Ah, well. Once I figured out I need to pay attention to Blender release notes a little more, I immediately switched over to the new and improved background. The change layed waste to all my fine tuning, and torched my blurry reflection idea. But what the heck, do I really need to make the watch EXACTLY the the way it is in real life? If I really want a blurred reflection, I should move to yafray. However, the longer render times and my penchant for tons of test renders don’t exactly go hand in hand. So anyway, heres the HDRI version.

I kept the toon shading on the black area around the display, since the sleek look it produces is just fine. There seemed to be no reason to switch to raymirror now. The silver buttons on the side seem to “flare” to much from the HDRI reflection. The mirroring seems pixelated. Yet in a way that may be realistic.
http://www.micaiahchisholm.com/Watch6.jpg

Update #4!

I fixed the indiglo sign (although I’d like to work on it a tad more.)

I replaced the noise filters on the links with one cloud filter. I think the result is sufficient for now.

I added the date and time to the display, but the shadows are going crazy on it. I’ll have to fix that.

I dimmed the lights a bit, since there was an unusual brightening in the last update. One of the shadows has returned (doesn’t matter why it was missing.)

I changed the antialiasing from gauss to mitch.
http://www.micaiahchisholm.com/Watch7.jpg

First off, well done. I think the biggest thing would to be somehow blur out the closest and or farthest links to give that realistic picture look. Other thatn that I say good job.

Oh…what metal is the watch. It doesn’t look very shiny. It looks like plastic.

Looks very good, but I agree, you need to add more spec to the links, as it looks very much like plastic. The screen looks great.

Maybe add a reflection in the floor, and some blur might be nice.

Cuby

First off, well done. I think the biggest thing would to be somehow blur out the closest and or farthest links to give that realistic picture look. Other thatn that I say good job.

Oh…what metal is the watch. It doesn’t look very shiny. It looks like plastic.

3dak, you repeated your post, and 45 minutes apart! How’d that happen?

I’ll probably be getting DoF Pro soon, for the focus blur.

I was modeling my watch, and I don’t think it is metal. The watch has more reflection though, just the blurry, noisy, subdued kind. I’m trying to get that effect right now by applying 8 noise filters to the material, and testing out various spec shaders.

I think it occurred because of TV…I must of pushed it and then it was taking forever so I started watching TV. Came back 45 min later and the hour glass was still rotating, so I hit stop and pushed reply again. Sorry guys. Update looks good…the metal still seems a little plasticy but it is a huge improvement…even if it was just lighting changes.

Well, it wasn’t just lighting changes. I adjusted the material somewhat, but I couldn’t get the spec without rotating one of the sun lamps. Keep in mind I AM going for the rough look. I think if I create a secondary point of specularity for the links, I might have the rough reflection down pat. Right now I’m trying to finish the markings on the display. I’ll get back to the materials soon.

Yeah…I understand that is why it’s a WIP and not a finished project. Also, I don’t own that watch…only you know what it really looks like. Keep up the updates though.

Just posting this message to let people know I’ve updated the topic a third time. The thread won’t go back to the top of the listings otherwise.

You know what, come to think of it, I might still be able to get a somewhat blurry reflection if I increase the bump map. I think I decreased it amidst the upheaval of my chaotic blending.

Comments are welcome!

Oh and the UV’s on the indiglo got messed up. I’ll fix that in the next update.