Water Chimes [SPOT THE DIFFERENCE]

[The title refers to my post at the bottom of this page]

Hey all,

Finally finished my latest artwork piece (previous creations of mine include the Tibetan Bowl & and the Sugarbowl and Citrine Gem).

I had to render it in 9 blocks, because it was so large my laptop couldn’t handle it (4199 x 3302 px). I’ve included a screenshot from Blender. It has a bit of post-work, but mainly just the highly contrasted bleached bypass look.

Enjoy

Attachments

Nice work! Quick question, how did you model the leaves?

Hey thanks! I used basic alpha mapping of planes for the leaves in Cycles. If you are unfamiliar with the technique, basically you just add a diffuse shader and a Transparent shader (set to white) into a mix node, and then use a b/w alpha map as the “Factor” in the Mix Node.

For those of you interested, I actually based this one fairly faithfully off of a photograph. It was a black and white film picture I took in College about 6 years ago. I always liked the look, but sadly it was grainy (taken on fast film) and the resolution couldn’t really hold up.

So I recreated it in 3D! Obviously, I didn’t want an exact match, and I improved it in certain areas for artistic effects.
See if you can spot the differences :slight_smile:

Attachments

Somehow, the CGI looks more realistic than the photograph. At least, I think I’ve got them the right way round, aha.

Amazing work.

Yep, you do :slight_smile:

That’s what I’m going for - hyperrealism. My gf is encouraging me to open up an Etsy shop and sell them as prints. We’ll see :wink:

Wow! Its look like an real photo! I love this picture!

Amazing! How did you texture the tree branch? Is it an image or did you create the texture?

I personally like the one taken with film better. The cgi one is very good though.

Wow! Its look like an real photo! I love this picture!

Thanks AgapeSchalom

Amazing! How did you texture the tree branch? Is it an image or did you create the texture?

The tree branch is all geometry, I just used “generated” coordinates of a seamlessly tiled image for them, and then did a tiny bit of burning and dodging in photoshop.

I personally like the one taken with film better. The cgi one is very good though.

Hey that’s cool - there’s certain qualities you can only get from a photograph. Maybe with my next piece, I’ll put in some grain and whatnot to be more authentic.

Hehe. I have such a thing in my garden too.
Nice work. I like the style but I think it`s a bit too dark and is too much contrast in there. I think you should play a bit more with composite notes to look a bit nicer but the model itself is great. good job. :slight_smile:

yeah the grain is a dead give-away for the photo, but overall it’s a pretty good re-creation.

I would ask - even if you re-created it through CG, it’s similar enough that I would be concerned about infringing the photog’s copyright if you sold prints.

That said, this is clear evidence that you can produce work worthy of prints, I would just wonder (and I know a little bit about copyright) whether this was OK.

E.g. if you perform a cover of someone’s song with 1 note changed, they might still successfully sue you in court.

Not sure if you plan to sell this one, or just prints in general. But please consider this a comment completely orthogonal to the piece’s quality, it’s a solid execution.

I would ask - even if you re-created it through CG, it’s similar enough that I would be concerned about infringing the photog’s copyright if you sold prints.

You’re right, that would definitely be an issue - except that luckily the photo is mine :slight_smile:

I definitely agree that this would be an issue if I had taken another photographer’s work and completely and faithfully recreated it in cgi. It’s a question of monetization, really. If my prints suddenly stole revenue from the original author and outsold his or her work, then I would be in violation of their copyright, regardless if I recreated it from scratch.

I’ve taught animation at a film school for a few years now, and I always encourage those students who are not good artists to use other artwork as the basis for their animation, but if they want to put it in their piece, it has to be substantially altered in some way to make it their own (a good technique is using Adobe Illustrator’s live-trace to vectorize something quickly before modifying it).

This is a very interesting issue. What do you guys think about whether a digital recreation is stealing or not?

wow, that is really impressive. You really matched that quite well.

Thanks, man!

Here’s a wireframe I rendered to show more detail in the geometry.

The technique is courtesy of an awesome tutorial from Blend Tuts found here.