WaterMill

Hi,

after I watched video tutorial on Stylized smoke with curves from Karim Joseph on Blender daily I decided to try it out. So I created a house where I applied the smoke and I also made something like watter with watter wheel in to give it more life :grinning:

tutorial link:

https://youtu.be/RyLt83yPT7Y

ANIMATION

WaterMill_01 from Petr Vetecnik on Vimeo.

TURNAROUND video

WaterMill - turnaround from Petr Vetecnik on Vimeo.

created thanks to Karim Joseph tutorial:

12 Likes

I think the water looks a bit to much like floating rocks. The effect on the smoke looks better. Really good work with the modeling and animation. The details really adds to it.

2 Likes

thanks Jimmy for your comment :+1: Yes I agree that the water is not as the water is like on this. It was like after I finished the smoke, I wanted to do also the water in the similar way with particles and curve. But to be honest the result looks quite weird in the end. I will have to look for some tutorial on stylized water :grinning:

1 Like

Sure Petr. It was a good idea to try adopting what you did for smoke for the water. I look forward to see more works of art from you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

very nice little scene! I agree with the water discussion. I like the overall structure with the different levels, and the stairs on the back of the house, makes it interesting to look at from all angles. The water wheel animation and little details like the birdhouse add some nice life to it all. Nice work!

2 Likes

If I may make a suggestion, you can try this:

• Keep the particle system but make it unrenderable.
  • Add a particle instance modifier on the rock object, select the object with the particle system.
  • Add a remesh on top of particle instance.
  • Assign a reflective material on this.

I like the overall look, it has character.

suzanne_water.blend (210.0 KB)

2 Likes

thx a lot :smiley:

thx for your tips :+1: I have tried your suggestion and it looks much more like a liquid similar to water now:smiley: It may want some adjustments yet for sure but right now I am very happy with the result. Thx a lot for this tip and for the added blend file.

WatterMill from Petr Vetecnik on Vimeo.

1 Like

Try simply animating a displacement texture on the water. I have used this technique for years. Everything from complete photorealism to cartoony can be achieved with displacement methods.

Also, you should set the wheel animation to linear. It is easing to a stop, when it should be looping.

2 Likes

well I have already used displacement couple of times too, but always only for still water and not for flowing water. But it is true, that there would not be a big difference specificaly on this. Yes, it should work aswell. Regarding the wheel, to be honest I know that it is stopping but I did not know why. You saying setting animation as linear. I will try to fix that. thx for pointing that out and thx for tip on displacement, appreciate it :+1:

1 Like

Another thought, could there be some splattering and animated wet spots around and on the wheel? Maybe a slight swing on the three and swing because of the minor wind blowing the smoke? Maybe just the swing because of really minor wind?

The water looks much better now.

1 Like

Yeah, you want to go into F-Curve Modifer and change to Cyclic (or maybe called Cycles, which could be confusing for folks, since Cycles is also the render engine)… and be sure to make your end frame of looping renders be one less than the length of the animated object that is set up for cyclic. In other words, don’t have your first and last frames have identical rotation (in this case) or there will be a visible pause in the loop. Hope that helps. There are sh!tloads of tuts on this.

1 Like

great, thx. I found out some tutorials on this and it is exactly as you mentioned. I also used displacement on the water and I think that it looks even better:D

thx for another tips. I tried to applied them in order to make scene even more alive, but I am not sure about the splashing water. It looks kind of weird. But it is OK for now I think. :smiley:

WaterMill_01 from Petr Vetecnik on Vimeo.

1 Like

Nice! If you make your displacement texture seamless, you can get a perfect seamless loop of that animation as well, giving a tiny offset on last frame. Getting the wheel loop timing and animated water timing to happen in the same amount of frames can be tricky, but certainly worth the effort. Of course, because the way your wheel is made (spokes and buckets only aligned at one part of wheel), it appears that you need to spin a full 360° (unless you change wheel mesh), so I guess you would need to make your water loop happen in the same number of frames as a full spin of wheel, if having one nice seamless loop of full animation is the goal…

Also, try adding a subtle animated bump map to the water as well, to give it just a little surface detail. You may actually poop your pants a little when you see the results, if you do it right.

1 Like

The splattering looks a bit weird and off, yea. But alsa partly right. My advice might have been partly bad on that part. However, when I think about it thw wheel would as it collects the water throw a bit up in the air at a low level similar to how the splattering is now. most of the water would never travel with the wheel walls as they lift or be dumped backwards and not be that visible unless you do a spin animation. But a reference video of a real water wheel would probably be better than what my brain is trying to simulate.

I like the swing in the swing. The cut off wall effect on the end of the water looks really cool! Also another thought, what is the water wheel driving and where is the thing that it’s driving? I’m not asking for a answer or that you should add something else that is spinning somewhere. That thing might after aIl be hidden from view. It’s just something I dom’t know if you have thought about.

1 Like