Way to "apply" shape key deformations to mesh?

I have a mesh that has shape key deformations. How do I “apply” my shape keys (not sure if this is the right term) similarly to the way I would “apply” rotation or “apply” a modifier to a mesh?

Seems like a very simple thing, but I haven’t been able to find any threads that explain it.

1 Like

Perhaps I should explain why this is important…

Let’s say I’ve made a character and rigged the facial expression I want using shape keys.
Now let’s say I want to get that character 3D-printed into a physical object. That means I have to permanently modify the geometry of the mesh.
I would be shocked if there’s no way to do this in Blender.

You could use the ‘Corrective shape keys’ addon to create a duplicate of your mesh will all the shape keys applied
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.5/Py/Scripts/Animation/Corrective_Shape_Key

I think if you set the shapekey in question to 100% and delete all the other shapekeyes (including the basis) the shapekey will be permanent. (I think)

Thanks, and good observation. But since I have several shape keys that will only prove useful if there is a way to combine all of my shape keys into one.

Hmmm, I couldn’t get that script to work for the following reasons:

1. I don’t know how to verify if it installed correctly.
  2. I don’t know where in the Blender menu this new option is supposed to show up.

OK, I found a way to do it. Not perfect, but it works.
(Thanks to this thread: http://blenderartists.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-107171.html)

The only problems are that the process is time-consuming and also it won’t work for verts that share shape keys. So you can’t “bake” or “apply” the combined influence of two shape keys on a single vertex.
So I’m still searching for other techniques.

1 Like

If you can tick the tickbox to the right of the addon name it is installed correctly.
Did you not look at the page I linked to, there is a screenshot showing that the option is added to the small black triangle dropdown to the right of the list of shapekeys.
Tested with blender 2.60a and works correctly.

You could try to click on the black triangle at the right side of the shape keys and select New Shape from Mix; this will create a new shape key from the settings of the shape keys you have. Then set this key to 1 and the others to 0 and remove all the shape keys.

3 Likes

That’s PERFECT! Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!
And it even works when the shape keys are controlled by drivers.

I still can’t delete that final shape key I made, can I?

9 years later and we just encountered this now.

9 years and Blender hasn’t made it any easier, apparently. :frowning:

1 Like

The easiest method is to export the mesh (as obj) and import it back. Or use the mentioned add-on. There a re other workarounds and probably other addons to solve this issue.

Also delete all shape keys should apply the active shapekeys and delete the shapekeys afterwards.

1 Like

Didn’t even know that applying shape was such a complex feature.
Had to export to OBJ and back to deal with it…

I found the same problem.

I found a solution.

1. Remove all modifiers
  2. Press Ctrl + A then choose Visual geometry from mesh ( second bottom line )
  3. Then in shape key panel --> press black triangle and choose delete shape keys .

I don’t know why , it actually work.

2 Likes