WC 111: Primitives -- Stairways

This is my WC:111 entry. Perhaps it needs a bit more work? Any comments and crits are welcome.
Edit: Btw I know this is wc 112. Too many WCs nowadays.

http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/images/TGinn/stairs.jpg

no relation to the topic - it looks like this was on your to do list and so you thought you’de kill two birds with one stone - i wouldn’t vote for it just cause of that - it wouldn’t matter how good it was! :expressionless:

on the actual image side - it is very nice although it is a bit too green and the filtered title bar at the bottom is too big and the words too badly placed. keep up the work! :wink:

prince… please, NEVER SAY THAT AGAIN

first off, prince, your owns entries could be totally “out of subject” from my point of view…I mean your 2first images do looks good…but I don’t see the relation you tried to have with the subject…it just looked like it was on your todo list… %|

As for TGinn’s entry. It’s practicly ON subject actually. it’s stairs build up with “primitives” (cubes) kinda…so it all works. And above all, each participant have their own view of the subject. With such an “open” topic as primitive…there will be alot of difference between each entry. I think the only moment we could say someone made something out of subject is if the subject was erally precise…like “desk”…and the entry was a cool looking car…we would go: wtf? …lbut with primitives…people use their imagination to make something…

says the man who “practices his freedom of speach”

first off, prince, your owns entries could be totally “out of subject” from my point of view…I mean your 2first images do looks good…but I don’t see the relation you tried to have with the subject…it just looked like it was on your todo list… %|

mine were primitives (and looked like them!) Everyone uses a primitive to start a project but he didn’t just use primitives he edited them so that it nolonger looks like a primitive - by your logic anyone of my images could work!

…but with primitives…people use their imagination to make something…

i agree but this looks like he followed that tut so many of us have done - not something original or imaginative - like i said he killed two birds with one stone.

now drop it! :expressionless:

edit: sorry! i just read that and it was harsh… but come on?

tut? what tut let me see .

Totally agrees with X-Warrior

Good work so far, could use some slight reflcetion. Maybe.

-Antiggo

The stair’s look squarish enough to believe primitives were used, very escher like.

Just a small update, fixed the text (a really stupid mistake)
Prince, do you think you could explain exactly how the words are poorly spaced? As far as I can tell they tooked just fine. Meh. As the “on your to do list” comment, I can assure you that you are completly wrong. I felt this to fit the bill exactly. I think a little reflection might be nice, maybe give the image a bit more depth, although that one will have to render overnight. Thanks for your comments, they are much appriciated. :slight_smile:

http://www.cuneo.us/tesmw/images/TGinn/stairs2.jpg

this is entirely on topic. primitive is (1) something that serves as a basis for a greater result, such as an earlier stage in evolution, or (2) something simple. this image fits both definitions. the stairs are extremely simple. also, the image is made entirely out of duplicated 5-step “primitives.” this is a perfectly acceptable interpretation.

i like it.

The type of text i’d change but that’s just personal opinion doesn’t have to be and there is nothing wrong with it! the spacing is that it doesn’t go all the way across the image - again you have artistic license to do that but hey!.. and it is too big! the size is too big perhaps a quater inch would be good cause as is it distracts from the already huge image.

As the “on your to do list” comment, I can assure you that you are completly wrong. I felt this to fit the bill exactly. I think a little reflection might be nice, maybe give the image a bit more depth, although that one will have to render overnight. Thanks for your comments, they are much appriciated. :slight_smile:

sorry i wasn’t really mad at the image (had other things on my mind and you sort of got the last straw :expressionless: ) it does fit the bill but i would rather see some more originality cause as is it looks like you just followed the tut! :expressionless:

nice image though! :wink:

grim - i don’t know where the tut is but if you can make a step and then duplicate it along the six faces of a cube then duplicate that whole cube you got yourself the beginnings of this image! :stuck_out_tongue:

I like this - it really fits the “primitive” concept well I think. I’m not sure how it wouldn’t fit that theme.

It’s extremely simple and yet it’s complex enough for my eyes to be lost in it at least momentarily.

:smiley:

Regards
Caleb

Very cool concept; works on many levels other than the fact you used boxes (stairs came first, then came elevators kinda thing). Just one comment: Would be kinda hard to climb the ones that go sideways or upside down :slight_smile:

Looks good! I think this would look really cool lit with radiosity, though the solution might take a long time–I think it would be worth it.

Good luck with the WC!

Cheers,

b01c