WC 112: Primitives (5-Ball Pendulum)

Here’s my very first weekend challenge entry.

This is for WC 112: Primitives. The 5-Ball Pendulum was made entirely from the following Blender primitives: sphere, cylinder and cube. The only transformations used were scale, rotate and translate. No fancy modelling tricks were used. Motion blur added on the 1st pendulum on the left. All textures made using Blender procedurals.

[Edit] Removed Geocities links :slight_smile:
The latest render will always be at the top:
http://www.websamba.com/ahmadkabani/WIP/cradle

There is a larger version available by clicking the link below the images.
[/Edit]

I may not be able to make any more changes but I’m still interested in your opinions.

i was going to do that! really i was but just never could decide on a good camera angle! nice job! :wink:

I like it but I have 2 complaints:

1. it would be nice to see some more advanced textures (my opinion)

2. The 6 popups I got when viewing the image were REALLY irritating.

Prince: It would be nice to see someone else’s idea for the same concept.

SpindleRift: What do you mean by advanced textures? I had a lot of trouble simulating realistic gold, wood, etc. I wasn’t going for realism anyway. On Blender.org there are some examples of using procedurals to simulate these materials but I didn’t want to simply use them. If you can lend a few pointers or ideas, I’d gladly appreciate it.

As for the popups, I apologize for using geocities; I can’t seem to login into my ASP-based website.

Get Firefox

are you insulting me or are you saying you would like to see my version?

if the latter i never made it - couldn’t decide on a camera angle!

As for the popups, I apologize for using geocities; I can’t seem to login into my ASP-based website.

put them one www.imageshack.us!

get firefox

lol or mozilla! opera! :stuck_out_tongue:

ya an geocities stinks just like yahoo - oh wait geocities.com takes you to yahoogeocities.com! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I’m not insulting you. I modelled it first then played with the camera a bit. Lighting, materials and camera angles are my worst nightmares. I’m glad you like this one :slight_smile:

As for the Geocities thing… I’ll stick with it for now until my web host decides to let me in. I’ve put the images in an HTML page so people don’t have to cut-n-paste the links.

Psst… If you rename the images .txt you can hotlink to them directly in image tags.

Could use texture work, and sorry, but that’s not a pendelum, that’s a newton’s cradle.

Manx2000: Interesting idea. I still think some sites won’t allow hotlinking any files to external sites; they use the referer tag to send requests back.

Kansas_15: Yes! I didn’t remember the name of the apparatus. Thanks, I’ll rename everything now :slight_smile: By the way, it is still a pendulum; in fact it is made of 5 pendulums… but I won’t argue my case.

I’m going to post an update soon with better wood textures/shaders and also for the pendulum balls.

I renamed the entry to Newton’s Cradle. I changed the shading on the wood material so it wasn’t too shiny. I used environment maps generated in Blender for the balls and the pendulum strings.

The latest render will always be at the top:
http://www.websamba.com/ahmadkabani/WIP/cradle

There is a larger version available by clicking the link below the images.

Enjoy.