WC 123: Braveless Knight EDIT: new image added, 1280 x 1024

First WC for me, and even my first real scene ever (I’m not counting all the ‘glassy spheres/cubes with HDRI’ doodles).

Theme for WC 123 is ‘oxymoron’.

If the image is not working:

Needs a little postprocessing, but I wanted to keep the image pure.

C&C still welcome.

EDIT:
New render, size 1280 x 1024.
Changed the DOF a bit and made it a little brighter.

Oh man! Great! Priceless!

Awesome render! Love the expression on the knights face.

BgDM

heh! thumbs up, great work!

.b

Very nice work! I like the use of DOF, 'cause it brings the knight character into focus… erm… yeah! Too bad the gopher’s not in focus, too… winning work!

That is so cool!!! :stuck_out_tongue: I love it man! Great knight You used yafray with the sun sky lightning? How did you set it up?

Wow! That’s awesome! You’ll definately win :smiley:

Thanks for the comments so far.

Too bad the gopher’s not in focus, too…

Yeah, that’s what I thought after 2 1/4 hours rendering. :wink:

You used yafray with the sun sky lightning? How did you set it up?

I used GI-method on full, quality on high. Added 2 lamps to get some specularity.

Very nice, very expressional.

Yeah ! Great realisation ! The expression of the man is very good modle. :smiley:

That’s really good! The facial expression fits perfectly - such a bold guy ;).

2 1/4 hours render-time? Uff.

i love that face! you should make more gophers, like Whack-a-Mole! :stuck_out_tongue: great job!

i just love it.

the expression is perfect, and the contrast of the nicely done diffuse shading with the strong reflections is a very nice touch.

All of the above :smiley:

also do you think you could render one slightly larger so I can use it as my background?

I love those kind of cartoon styled renders. Very nice. I was going to say it was the first image I’ve seen here to use DOF properly until I saw the gopher. Someone else mentioned it.

If you fixed that, I would say it’s one of the best images I’ve seen on Elysiun. IMO, I could see this on a Blender showreel. I look forward to seeing more of your work. An animation would be awesome. Like making him bash the gopher.

I love it ! very good work !

Correct the DOF and you enter directly into the pantheon :smiley:

@+

Thanks all for the replies.

I’ve added a link to a new render on the first post, size 1280 x 1024.
You can also find it here:

Less DOF and slighly brighter.
Still not perfect, but I’m happy for now.

I love this style of rendering! Seriously impressive!

Any chance you could post what settings you used? The knight’s face material and the lighting setup would be the parts I am most interested in… The knight’s face material because it’s looks so damn good, and the lighting rig, because I am having problems balancing the lighting for the Yafray export.

Please don’t be offended! I just want to learn, not copy…

Ben

Please don’t be offended! I just want to learn, not copy…

That’s okay dude, I’m still learning too.

I can surely show you some settings.

Some settings are proberly waaaay to high, but with this I give my new computer something to do. :wink:

Remember that those (high) AA-settings (passes, samples & threshold) are only needed when creating DOF.
The 2 lamps are normal lamps with energy around 2.1. They give the materials their specularspots. The main lightning comes from the GI-power + the worldcolour.

Hope this helps

Huh! I didn’t realize Yafray images were allowed in the Weekend Challenge. Beautiful render :smiley: I love the eyes! Such personality! Reminds me of some of the characters from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. :smiley: