We are in 2022. And should i still use UPBGE?

I want to create a indie game. (Not AAA) Should i seriously choose upbge for my game and would it be enough in 2022 or future? I know unity or unreal engines might do the best but if i lean on blender, will i be disappointed?

It honestly would depend on whether you and your audience are “O.K” with downloading ~200MBs+ worth of Blender dependencies, and that’s just for UPBGE 0.2x versions. Current UPBGE 0.3x versions have near ~750mbs+ worth of dependencies: https://github.com/UPBGE/upbge/issues/1594#issue-1072584141
Compression can help, but only ever so slightly, and eventually it will need to be uncompressed to be playable.

0.2x versions have proven time and again that they can make AAA quality games, such as Mark Telles “Future’s End” game project: https://www.youtube.com/c/MarkTelles/videos

0.3x versions on the other-hand, don’t exactly seem to have any decent game projects out there - that doesn’t there aren’t any fyi. Performance isn’t the best with the latter.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I’m viewing the links.

I think one advantage of UPBGE is that it is opensource, so maybe we can advance it bit more to have more game export options for example to trim or comb out some unnecessary data; to make executables smaller

1 Like

I believe one major issue with UPBGE’s current development is that as part of the idea of the engine being the core component of the fork (which is now based on Blender 3.x), they are trying to make Eevee work as the graphics engine. The problem with that is that Eevee’s focus is on quality and on fairly rapid rendering for animation (as opposed to being something like Unity’s HDRP engine which needs to run at 60 FPS). In other words, being more in the vein of being at interactive speeds suitable for production as opposed to realtime.

Eevee Next will help make things faster in a lot of cases, but they are still not going to get film quality at the framerate needed for games at max quality (that is unless you have the halo GPU from Nvidia or AMD).

3 Likes

If you want to make a single game, you will have already enough trying to finish to prototype it with upbge.
If you want to make game development a living, go for UE5.

AAA game in late 2000’s , but agree for the AAA . Also, if his work represents 100, most of UPBGE projects are not reaching 5, whilst in UE you just have to buy some starter kits to start at 75.

Also, UPBGE community is essentially people who are just Blender-curious and like spend time in tuning some irrelevant material details, very few serious game creators actually. So Oncu has to expect to work alone on his project if he goes with UPBGE

The good point with UPBGE is that its very fun to use

1 Like

while upbge 0.2.x is very capable, theres no hand holding. you need to be able navigate technical hurdles and learn to do things in a roundabout way. very excellent at prototyping and experimenting.

upbge eevee is NOT production ready, simple as that.

dedicated game engines have the great benefit of performance, flexibility, and methodology. importing and exporting, learning the “right way” are big downsides. these engines are workhorses, designed to assist in making a project from start to finish, having well thought plan and document is needed.

1 Like

im not agree, 10 fps is ok for a picture slideshow game :grimacing:

yeah, upbge team should just maintain 0.2 and eventually upgrade to CyclesX (? possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

What about Godot ?
I’m not into game engines, while I respect very much UPBGE I’m not sure there are a lot of actual games made with it. Could be great for prototyping …

3 Likes

as far as i know, godot may have the least painful import export pipe, but its full 3d suite is still maturing from its 2d origins. although i dont follow these things closely.

1 Like

2 years ago, I was questioning about the existence of any serious game made with Godot … i keep type in youtube ’ Godot game ’ , it keep returns me 2d games for nokia … So , i dont know … :octopus:

edit : well after a check, there’s some godot project that looks fine, but none are finished and it seems godot has some performance issues

2 Likes

tbh, i think upbges lack of easy packaging and distribution makes other engines a clear winner. the endless gpl concerns as well.

1 Like

lol, like license matters when selling 2 copies of a game at most :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Even though Cycles X has better performance then its predecessor, Cycles. To my knowledge it still uses ray-tracing for its rendering pipeline, which means it would cause real-time performance to be even slower then current EEVEE’s appropriate rendering - even before the EEVEE Next / Vulkan migration has been accomplished.

Making performance about something like this:

• Cycles
    • Cycles X (rewrite)
      • Cycles X + Vulkan?
        • EEVEE
          • EEVEE Next (rewrite)
            • EEVEE Next + Vulkan?
2 Likes

Godot isn’t perfect, but the engine right now has state-of-the-art realtime rendering with GI and a lot of visual tools for things ranging from path following to UI building. Version 4 meanwhile will introduce GI that does not need to be baked, much faster script execution, performance improvements across the board, and a ton of other things. It will be your best bet as far as FOSS goes.

Now it is true that the majority of games made with it are 2D, but part of that now is the fact 2D games are easier to make regardless of the engine.

2 Likes

Godot is fascinating to me because it is extremely feature heavy, not bad performance wise, its scripting language is the easiest thing in the world, it has a ton of tutorials, it supports 2D and 3D… and no one uses it. It may not be a serious threat to something like Unity, but it’s also significantly easier to learn and to use, especially for a beginner. It’s also FOSS, which adds to my bafflement. How is that there aren’t really any games made with Godot?

I’ve never encountered any in the wild, and yet, if you’re poor and not super experienced with coding, there’s no better option for a game creator out there. UPBGE and Armory can’t even come close, neither can things like RPG Maker, and stuff like Love2D and Pygame are 2D only.

I don’t get it at all. I think the makers of Godot have a serious messaging problem. If they could get that together, I honestly think Godot would be in every high school computer class in America

2 Likes

There are some games made with Godot on Steam already, you may not have heard of them because none so far have been mega million-dollar hits that get widespread news coverage.

You have rather promising projects like Tailworlds Defense, Human Diaspora, and others that have been in development for at least a couple of years now and are still going strong (ie. the devs. haven’t scrapped them because of the engine’s quality).

3 Likes

Sometime it can take a while since a software earn a good reputation, I’ve seen it with blender in the professional world. People are interested but don’t have time so they ask around or try it quickly.
As a result their opinion tends to be really biased, or based on a really old version and because that information will then be passed on, at some point the software is really capable but isn’t used much yet. And here I talk less about general users, but more about people responsible of productions, who have to choose a software for a project.

Of course, it’s not always the case, some people follow development accurately.

Sad truth is , I don’t use game engines, but I asked here about Godot out of curiosity, the answer I get is that it’s good but still a bit slow. And that’s probably what I’ll recall if someone ask me about it. And maybe at that time it won’t be the case anymore.

But, like with blender at some point it can changes really quickly because the word on the street is different. When a few good companies starts using it then everyone starts looking into it, and then you’ll see a lot of productions starting using it.

Then comes another issue, because a lot of companies starts using it at the same time it gets really hard to find experts using it. So it can takes another few years until schools starts teaching it, and also artists using it. Because if you plan to make a living, who’ll spend some time learning a software that is good but isn’t used in production, better focus on Maya …
But fortunately at this point things adapts more quickly, new users starts to pop out from nowhere and finally a new standard starts to appear.

I think, this is something that killed software like Natron, near the end of development it misses like a year of two to get stable and useful, but probably another round of years would have been needed to make it being broadly used.
At the same time commercial companies adapted and my guess is that’s thanks to Natron that now there are free version of Nuke and Fusion…

In the end there is a lot of inertia, you can see similar stories with Gimp or Krita, I’m not sure if that’s something related to CG or if it’s similar in other field as well. At least one thing that makes it slow is that a production takes like ~2 years, and company tries to stick to their pipeline so they take a lot of time before they decide to switch to another software.

2 Likes

Honestly speaking, I believe Godot could be the only viable FOSS alternative to Unity at the moment. In other words, if you are looking for a general purpose open source game engine which is suitable for creating most types of indie video game, you’d be better off just learning Godot.

UPBGE, in comparison, is an interesting beast. Admittedly, it lacks a lot of important features other general purpose engines like Unity or Godot provides.

However, thanks to its peculiar relationship to Blender, it also offers many interesting possibilities and unique workflow which is simply not possible in any other engine.

So, provided you know the strengths and limitations of UPBGE well, it can be a good platform to try many interesting stuffs on, like using geometry nodes or incorporating some Python-based machine learning features to a game.

At least, that’s how I see it as a person who started with Unity, moved to Godot, then again to UPBGE over the years.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your thoughts guys. Thanks to you, i can see my front more clearer.

1 Like