We should have nodes that control the flow of light around a model.

And i’m not meaning vector curves because they can’t bring light into unlit portions of the mesh. I’m talking about a node that would be able to, see here for example.

1). You have a ball or a suzzane lit from behind and it’s dark because it recieves shadows and no light comes to the front.
2). With a light control node like one that bleeds the light around or even through the mesh into the dark areas, we could, for example, make a better and more convincing fake SSS effect. Other light control nodes like this could be conjured up for more interesting effects.

Tell me what you think. I don’t have the knowledge to code such a thing but maybe one will take inspiration.

All we need is to be able to control the ambient color of a shader.

have you guys played around with Fresnel shaders yet? I think that’s what you’re looking for…

I just did a quick play with fresnal shaders and what I’m after is a method of letting the material send and recieve shadows, but have light from the lit areas that bleed into the unlit areas. The shader you’re talking about doesn’t seem to transmit light to areas completely unlit though I used nodes mixing it with a non fresnal shader.

sounds more like a python script than a node

One idea comes to mind.
1 bake light into vertexes,
2 using a falloff (based on how bright the lit vert is), select the vertexes close to the lit ones and assign them a proportionally less amount of light
3. use the vertexes to light the model

whatever

It’d be better if it was per pixel and a hardcoded node feature though (per vertex would mean you need a dense mesh to get super accurate results.

The method i’m describing I think would be practical because it wouldn’t really require much in the way of true photon mapping which would take quite some time to code.

isnt that just radiosity?

Not radiosity, I’m meaning what I’m describing could be used to fake SSS effects if implemented. This would mainly be for to fake SSS effects in materials.

As in nodes which allows you to control progression and bleeding of light into completely unlit areas and possibly even by the thickness of the mesh.

What you repher to is what maya calls lightmaps, maps and nodes dictating how light interacts with an object.

That would be extremely useful…how close to a possibility( in blender) does anyone think that is? I havent heard of any such thing in development…
peace
drew

You may be looking for something like this.http://www.blendernation.com/2006/10/17/fake-sss-in-blender-and-makehuman-pose-preview/

It seems to give very convincing results;).

The shadow map method has one limitation as I see, you need to use a spotlight for the blur parameters. I’m talking about new nodes that would allow for fake SSS effects with any kind of light with any kind of setting.
I downloaded a .blend from the topic covering this and found it’s the spotlight doing it.

You can make a light only effect what’s on the same layer it is.

Not radiosity, I’m meaning what I’m describing could be used to fake SSS effects if implemented.
This sounds like imagination. Imagination can make anything happen and wild visions can roam in your skull. But…

You are not describing this node (fully), you just give broad descriptions of where it might be used. That makes it impossible to implement.

But to create=program a real life node you need to be able to define the phenomena with crystal clear clarity, fully, so that all potential outcomes can be understood.

Light does not bleed. Light does not ‘go around’ - at least not on a sub-planetary scale when we are moving at less than 300 000 m per second. It can bend, but thats different…

I just did a quick play with fresnal shaders and what I’m after is a method of letting the material send and recieve shadows, but have light from the lit areas that bleed into the unlit areas. The shader you’re talking about doesn’t seem to transmit light to areas completely unlit though I used nodes mixing it with a non fresnal shader.
That is just light reflecting into shadows, if I understand your somewhat confusing description. Radiosity is a simple method to simulate this phenomena. But then you go off and describe SSS and translucency phenomena - kinda self-contradicting.

Why not study the physical properties of light? The terminology etc so we can talk a common language.

Or are we creating a imagirenderer here? I would prefer as accurate physical model of light as possible.

Is your post basically just wishes for a better, more realistic rendering engine?

Did I say it would be entirely accurate.

What I’m meaning about light bleeding into the dark areas is so that some of the completely unlit areas get lit up from light coming from elsewhere in the object as in sort of a way to fake SSS so photon mapping wouldn’t be needed at that point?

Why does it seem that no one gets any of my feature requests?

To do subsurface scattering you must integrate the incoming light.To fake it you must find some visual effect that it’s similar to this behaviour(from a visual point of view).Simply speaking,you must find a way to blur(or bleed,call it as you want,it’s always the same thing)the diffuse light on objects.
But blurring means convolution filters,and we have again something to integrate.We are in in a loop,because to fake you must have a node that can multisample the incoming light…