Web page I'm making...

It’s for a friend of mine. Havn’t done html or web design in years. Any crits from someone that knows what they are doing would be nice. It’s still a work in progress and is mostly a template, so be kind!

http://www.utdallas.edu/~cheyd/woot.html

big images, probably would compress better as png. I hope you still have a pre-jpeg version to look at that with

There is too much “useless junk” on the left, the left side should be made as small as possible to leave more room for the content.

I don’t know what you used to position everything, but if I did I would probably disagree with it.

*uses and opera 7 feature to find out without looking at the html

nested tables eh?

as far as the navigation stuff goes, put it on top of the other stuff on the left. Reduce the contrast on the left, and change the colors to make it work. Personally I don’t like center-aligned left navigation elements, but it doesn’t really matter. I feel the left navigation should have a different style than other links on the page though.

and the top is wasted space

what is this website for anyway?

it is limited vertically, and horzontally. This is kind of annoying at 12801024, and probably more so at higher resolutions (some dell laptops have the drool-worthy resolution of 19201080)

(nice that all your links go to google)

i agree witn z3r0, there’s a lot of space wasted on the page.

shrink the header to around half that size, 2/3 at most, and maybe move the navigation links so they lie on top of the bar on the left.

also, since you’ve got margins in the background, get rid of the margins for the page:

<body leftmargin=0 rightmargin=0 topmargin=0 bottommargin=0>

or in CSS

body {
  margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
}

Thanks for the comments. I’ll go ahead and increase the overall size of it and make it centered. I must have been in an artsy mood when I made it since now it looks all abstract and strange =). Merging aesthetics and functionality is a pain. I used notepad to make it, and nesting the tables was the only way I could get it to look the way I wanted. It’s for a graduate student friend of mine to put her research information and publications on.

So the point is: simpler, less wasted space, and portability for higher resolutions.

It crashed my browser.
It doesn’t get any more w00t than that.

Pictures link took me to Google. Funky.

Sonix.

They all go to google. There arnt any sub pages yet. It was the first thing I thought of when I was writing the code out. :o