web page

updated at the original link. Cleaned up my html and replaced background. It should work fine on all browsers now.
Didn’t do too much with the css 'cause I have to change it again when I make it into a mambo template. The next update will be in a few weeks (month?), when It’s all up and hosted.

I cordially invite all of you to the opening!

you’re pathetic, this sites (except the not working one) are the best sites I ever seen, the horizontal scroll is an original idea, very nice idea, the hole point in webdesign is to make original designs, not another dipshit layout, but you here on elysiun don’t seem to understand the idea of art, you always say things like ‘awesome’, ‘great’ etc. I’m getting sick of reading what you post here, and when somebody tell you the truth the entire forum gathers to konck that person out, you could at least have some decency and don’t say things like that, but I noticed that only in Poland people are honest, they write what they think about the project they comment, sometimes it’s realy rude, but always it’s the truth, in other countries there’s no honesty, always the same praises, think about that people. thank you for reading this.

Actually - that is not quite.
Format and layout in magazines, newspapers, a great deal of computer software and websites usually follow fairly standardised rules of mass consumption. They don’t preclude originality - in fact they will invite it to an extent, but if you read any books about good website design for instance, you’ll find that the main thrust is clear, concise design that is easy to follow while also being attractive.

Horizontal scrolling is a “different” idea, but it fails to take advantage of the scroll wheel on the mouse for very easy continuous reading. These days that kind of move is usually a mistake. Additionally, you are forcing the audience to operate the site in a completely different way to how they operate every single site they go to. And although this might be original and an interesting idea itself, that doesn’t mean it equates to good website design.

The reason you were probably pounced on wasn’t because you were telling the truth in your eyes, but because you chose such an offensive, ill-considered way of expressing it. That’s also probably why your examples of good webdesign were probably ripped apart like that. Funny how you seemed to take offence at people doing that after your initial remarks.

I don’t think a discussion about website design necessarily exposes people’s lack of understanding about art by the way. The two topics don’t necessarily align as much as you seem to think.

I don’t think this forum has a natural aversion to truth, but it does quite often have a strong reaction to rudeness. If you think the “fan” posts are a bit much, feel free to temper it with your Polish truth, just try and remain thoughtful and constructive in your approach.

I agree that you don’t see as much original art throughout this forum as you might elsewhere, but alot of people are still learning the skill of modelling, texturing and lighting here and the many reproductions of obvious real world objects are probably a reflection of that, just like painters might start by doing still lifes of flowers and bowls of fruit.

Now whether you can read this post and come to any understanding about it may depend on whether you can see the strangeness of opening your presence in this forum with a comment like: “dude, this page sux, I don’t see any use of css there scept for the scrollbar, the composition of the site is boring, the logo is laso boring, the typo sux as well” and then referring to any retaliation on you as not decent.

Caleb

You’re very self-centered and obnoxious and I take offence to your post, as you say that if somone’s not Polish, then they’re not honest. I’m Australian, does that mean I’m dishonest and I don’t tell the truth?

Anyway, I have to agree with caleb in that web design is not about originality, because otherwise it would be impossible to come up with something original these days. There’s only so far you can take a design and make it original before it’s completely impractical.

Oh and that horizontal scrolling page is not original becuase it’s already been done before, and better too. In fact, probably every possible design has already been done before and we just don’t know about them.

Take this site for example http://www.linkinpark.com/home.php - and click the scroll right and scroll left buttons.

To make a professional site you need it to be clear, easy to read (or communicate your point in some other way), and never ever force someone to do something. That makes them upset.

not about originality? then about what? copying the same layout in all pages? you say about mass consumption, yes this is true, but do you always have to make the same layout or no one will buy it? take a look here http://design.misz.com/index.php?dzial=szablony this designs are different, have a breath of freshness, they’re original, and by the way friendly for the eye. About http://dabrowskidesign.tk this is a portfolio, not a web portal, it has to be original, but you seem not notice that. Mister Dabrowski created an original layout. he achived an awesome effect there, the graphics are outstanding. But I see that arguing with you is meaningless, like I said, people around the world or don’t say the truth about what they think of a project they rate, or they are dowdy. Thank you.

It looks good. The only thing I don’t like is this banner on the top. Other than that, you did a great job with coding. :smiley:

-Antiggo

What mister Dabrowski acheived there, visor, is an artistic web monkey with a Cable connection getting bored waiting for it to download and giving up on it.

he achieved an original web site, that’s what he achived, and a very high level in graphic creating, if you don’t understand that then graphic and art aren’t for you m8

At risk off going so entirely off topic…

And a web tragedy. I was there when 33K was the fastest home connection you could get, and learned then how artistic designs could be acheived without sending your viewers away. Art counts for nothing if no-one is going to wait for it to load. Also if no-one can stand to view it. Discretion is the key in digital content.
If you don’t understand that, then computers aren’t for you, “mate.”

And I disapprove of your use of the abbreviation ‘m8’ because you’re not Australian and therefore can’t understand the implications of the as used in everyday conversation.
This forum is a community, visor, and people rocking up and saying ‘you suck’ is not socially acceptable. That’s why you’re the antagonist in an argument that you’re the only one on one side of.

Jack000, your design is interesting, although I find it a tad unoriginal, though that may be because I have a few friends who use similar designs. The visual effect is rather killed by its statique, however that is hard to fix with backwards technology like MSIE dominating the web.

ah, You’re more than pathetic, it’s 21 century, interrnet standards had heighten, now almost everyone have a cable connection, you talk like you live in a poor country where a tv is rare, and it’s better to wait those several minutes for loading the page and be drlighted viewing it than waiting 5 seconds to load a pgae that you will right away turn off, cause’ it’s ugly

It’s true, visor, I am more than pathetic. I have experience. I have taste.
You, on the other hand, are a less-than-pathetic boozing Charlie.
Did you even comprehend a single word from what I said in that post? If you have to be excessive in order to be artistic, you’re probably doing it wrong.
Like I implied before, I have cable. That particular page was going to take about 4 or 5 minutes to load. The recent state of the human psyche points out that people aren’t going to wait longer than about 15 or 20 seconds for something that they don’t have a predetermined interest in. Ergo, that page does not cut it.
This is my last word in this because I’ve hit my idiot tolerance quota for the day and you do not want to know angry me.

then you have to got a veryyyy slow cable if this page loads you 4-5 minutes, ah i’m sick of you, you don’t how a fuckin’ idea of what you’re saying, bye

The site itself is a little irritating. The banner took too long to load even on my cable connection. I was left thinking that he had deliberately left half of the screen blank. It wasn’t that important however, as I was able to freely navigate.

Of the examples he had for web design I liked most of them. They seemed to conform to fairly sensible and obvious navigation methodology as well as looking aesthetically pleasing.

I’m sure the other site you really like probably fills some kind of niche and mass consumption isn’t always the primary concern for a site that showcases an artist’s portfolio. You may well be aiming your design towards exactly the kind of people that appreciate an eccentric and different design like that. However it tends to be a bit of a risk that isn’t necessarily worth it.

And before you say you have to take risks as an artist, I would agree with that, but it would probably make more sense to take the risks with the art itself rather than the website used to showcase it.

But it’s all just idle speculation really - as said before the major reaction you’ve received was because of the manner in which you chose to critique the work in the first place.

It’s easier if you approach this site as a fairly supportive environment for 3D artists (beginners, intermediate and up) and decide whether you’re interested in interacting with that environment or finding a harsher one more suitable to your early posts. I’m sure there are forums out there that revel in that sort of thing.

Caleb

I like your design so far, but I’m not exactly all that great at design myself. You can take a look at my work if you’d like. Also I would recommend Eric Meyers CSS Edge. He has some great tricks and some good books out as well.

One thing I noticed while browsing your CSS was you have two spots, the rightcol div and the cheat div that have “z-index=#;” instead of “z-index: #;”. Also I would consider making your links a list of links like the CSS Zen Garden has done. That gives them an easily distinguishable look when the page is viewed in a text only mode. You may also want to add some sort of rollover effect to help identify them as links. A visited style can help people remember where they’ve been while navigating your site.

Generally I’d follow all the W3C recommendations for Accessibility as closely as possible. Don’t forget about tags like abbr and acronym. Remember title and alt attributes where appropriate.

Otherwise you’ve done an excellent job. Keep up the good work and always make sure you Validate.

visor, i am led to wonder if you have any clue what you are talking about…
the dabrowski design page is actualy rather unoriginal, i have seen horizontal scrolling, similar graphics, and that general design type quite a few times… just not in a few years %|
i thought people had finally gotten tired of that sort of ‘design’. not to mention the page is sort of boring, and a little ugly…
anyway the three most importent aspects of a website, are:

1. Content (of course)
  2. Usability
  3. Aesthetics

anyway, Jack000: I like the site, its not overly complicated, and it is pleasing to the eye

Jack, I think your site looks excellent. My only suggestion would be to use rollover links for the navigation, for example, changing the links to lime-green or something when the mouse rolls over it.

You do know the code for that don’t you?

That’s just what i think anyway.

And Visor, can you please criticize my website? You sound like a harsh critic and I don’t think anyone has been harsh on my website before. Just make sure you’re descriptive and give me suggestions and stuff. btw, if you do decide to crit my page, just PM or email it to me, thx.