weigh painted object following the shape of an other object

Hi
in my setup there are 3 ocean waves. 2 waves have a shape key driver and the middle wave doesn’t. The middle wave should be the transition part of the 2 outer waves. So 50% of the middle wave has to follow the shape of the wave to the right and the other 50% of the middle wave has to follow the shape of the wave to the left.

How do you let the middle wave follow these shapes?

thank you very much for your respons.

forgot the blend file

Attachments

wave.blend (499 KB)

Now that you uploaded the blend I see what you’re talking about, but I’m not yet sure how to do it. I’ll give it a bit more effort though, I’ve got one idea.

Edit: ok, not 100% sure, but I think this will work.

Copy the first wave so that the middle wave has all the shape keys. Then delete all the drivers for shape keys and make new ones. Drive shape key 1 by the shape key 1 of the right wave divided by 2 plus the shape key 1 of the left wave devided by 2. so on and so forth for shape key 2, 3, 4. that should do what you seem to want.

Thank you, it worked!
the only thing left is to make the vertex groups of the middle wave parent to the outer waves. So vertex group “left” parent to the left wave and vertex group “right” parent to the right wave. But i don’t know how to do that, i can only make 2 objects parent to each other.

here is the updated blend file:

Attachments

wavetesting.blend (516 KB)