Weight not working in pose mode

I’m currently having trouble getting weight to work when animating a character in pose mode. Because weight paint seems a less strategic way, I manually selected the vertices in edit mode, chose a weight to give them, applied the weight, and went into weight paint mode to confirm that it had worked. it had, and it bent nicely in pose mode, using armature bones.

I went onto the next one, the arm. I did the same process, with the same results, except one. in pose mode, the bone controlled all the vertices with the weight of 1.0, even though I had assigned different weights and witnessed the variety of colors in weight paint. I even grabbed all the vertices and rotated them all with the rotate function, which rotates them all with a weight of 1.0, and found it moved exactly the same as when I rotated the bone in pose mode.

Any idea what might be going wrong? The first one worked, the second one didn’t. The only difference I can find is that the arm has a few more vertices than the body.

Ok my brain is fried right now and my reading comprehension is kind of bad but I’ll try to help, but I could be totally off.

Even if you assign diffrent weights to a particular body part, in your case the arm. Unless you assign the vertex to another bone, like the bicep, the vertices assigned to just one bone will have 100% influence, even if its not set to 1.

Weighting is like a tug of war between two or more bones/objects. If you have a vertex assigned to two bones and the weight is set to 1 for both bones, then each bone will influence the vertex at 50%.

Okay, I’ll try that. It make sense of course, and my body has that, so it would explain why that half worked.

Thank you so much, it works now! It’s still a little weird when bending, but I’ll be fine tuning it now. :smiley:

Okay, I’ll try that. It makes sense, and explains why the body worked.

Okay, I’ll try that. It make sense and explains why the body works.
(I apologize if this comment is made three or so times. I’m having trouble replying :P)