Weight Painting - PLEASE HELP ME!

Hey guys so l am trying to animate my Robot Mesh, but in order to do that l need to apply the WEIGHT PAINT on the mesh and bones, and l have been struggling for WEEKS on how to do this and the mesh is all messed up and l don’t know how to fix it! If you guys could PRETTY please download my blender file and fix up the weight paint l will GREATLY appreciate it!

P.S it won’t allow me to upload my blender file so if you guys could gimme your email address or what not, so that way l could send it to you

Cheers guys! :smiley:

Blender user are special you know. So we have site called PastAll to transfer blend files. Use that. Just select little blend file icon at top left to upload the file. It will give you file ID number when uploaded. We need that ID to download your file.

I don’t know what you are up to. But for robots with rigid body, they are typically parented to each bone of the rig. So no weigh painting. For some thing that bends weigh painting is the way to go.

Thank you so much, unfortunately for a task l have to do it requires weight painting :confused:

Here is the code:

we need the site also…

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/31500

Okay just now looking at this…

1st … I missed where you said this was for a Robot…
In essense you really don’t need to weight paint to get this to working…

It appears that you have an Aramture modifier on each of your objects… and some of them have two Armature Modifiers… (this won’t work)

each of your Robot parts has a vertex group for all the other parts…

Select one of your Robot Part Meshes > goto the Properties Panel > Object Data (the 3 point triangle icon) > Vertex Groups… and you will see that there is a Vertex Group for each of the other Meshes there…

This is unnecessary…

Instead what you need to do is clean all this up… delete all the Armature Modifiers from all the Robot Part Meshes…
AND…
Delete all the Vertex Groups from all all the Robot Part Meshes…
(which is easier than it appears at first… I simply from the Vertex Groups panel > select the little black down arrow on the right > select “Delete all Groups”…
the only parts you won’t want to use this option is where you have some shape key Groups… in those instances you will have to pick each Vertex Group indvidually and then delete it…

Finally when all that is done…

Have your Amramature set into Pose mode…
Hit ‘A’ to deselect the Armature…
Now select a Robot part… lets say the Head…
Shift select the Head bone…
Ctrl+P… and pick “Bone” from the popup menu…

you may want to separate some of your Robot Parts out into separate Objects… such as the Neck piece from the Head since you have a Neck bone… so that it can be Parented to that bone separately…

This is the easiest way to do a Robot using Bones…

Hope that helps…

Thank you so much! The only problem is that when l move the main mover - the tip of the shoe goes all weird and stretches! Unfortunately as a task from school l have to have weight painting :confused: I don’t know how to make the mesh/bones move smoothly with the rig and the weight painting. Any advice for the weight painting wise? Again thank you so much!

Really?.. that makes no since to me… I’m not very impressed with your Teacher… (sorry to say)

In pose mode… Grab the Main Mover and move it such that you can see the foot problem…

Select the Foot Mesh… > Properties Panel > Modifiers (wrench Icon) > in the Armature Modifier click the Box Icon and the Triangle Icon… (this enables you to view Bone changes in Edit View)
Tab into Edit mode (with the Foot still selected) > hit “A” until all Vertices are selected > in the Properties Panel > Object Data (Triangle Icon) > find your “TOESL” bone and select it in the Vertex Group Panel > hit the “Assign Button”…

Note… you have two Toe bones on each foot… not sure why that is but that may cause you some issues…

Quick Tip…
When working with Armatures your life will be much easier if you use X-Ray… Wire Frame… and… Bone Axis…

To turn on X-ray…
Select your Armature > Properties Panel > Object Data (Box Icon) > Display > check the box “X-Ray”
While you are there find the box that says “Solid” and set it to Wire… (looks like yours is set to “Textured”)

To turn on Bone Axis…
Select your Armature > Properties Panel > Armature Data (Little Man Icon) > Display > check the box that says “Axis”

how your Axis are oriented from one bone to the next is extremely important in Rigging…

It actually worked! Thank you so much for all your help! It is muchly appreciated! :smiley:

good to hear you have it working, but i must agree with norvman, your teacher is teaching you very poor rigging skills. You dont need two bnes in the body, as it is a solid ibject and is not going to bend. there are no shoulders so your arm movements are going to look wierd, and why do you have bones in the fingers if they are animated by shape keys. I’m not even sure what your shape keys are supposed to do except mess up the mesh…
Norvman has given you plenty of good advice so i’ll leave off confusing you with too much information, but Remember: keep things simple, Hard surface rigging is just using an armature to replace moving joints. think of your bone as the spheres at each end. The bit in the middle just shows you the next joint in the sequence. very, very rarely will you need shape keys on a hard surface model