This is a question/suggestion. I’m learning about face rigging at the moment, seems that the hard, time consuming bit is in the weight painting to get the face rig to deform the face mesh smoothly. Particularly, I’m interested in the idea of being able to paint the weights for one head and then be able to transfer the face rig (with its weight painting) to another head as quickly and easily as possible.
Q : Is there a way to ‘bake’ weight painting for each bone to it’s own (UVW map based) texture, and more importantly, transfer baked weights from a texture back to weight painting?
My thinking is this:
- weight paint a mesh to work with all the bones
- bake each bones weight to a texture
- make a copy of the face rig (bones) and place it inside a new head
- add the baked weight textures to the new head
- USE UVW MAPPING TO REPOSITION BAKED WEIGHTS CORRECTLY ON NEW HEAD
- transfer baked weights back to weight painting on new head
Is this already available? If not, can it be done with python?