weightpainting parts on different layers

hey, I have got this monster, and he has a lot of details, and consists of many objects, 6 or 7, on different layers
Now, I can link them to a shared armature, but when I start weighpainting it does not work, how do you fix this? I can paint one part, but then suddenly I cant paint another part, it seems unstable, never experienced this with only one mesh/object.
Then you would ask me to join the objects, but I have tried to do this, and when I do, the fur particles on the face disappar, so that seems a bad solution. How do I fix this? :eek:

Weight painting is only on a single Object at a time, since it has its own Vertex Groups separate from those on other Objects. You’ll have to paint each Object separately.

-OR-

You can make a duplicate of the Object that has the hair particle system, and make its Emitter non-rendering (the particles still render, though). Then you can Join the original object with the others into one mesh for weight-painting all at once. But I’m not sure how your various Vertex Groups would be treated, since they may have the same names (bone names) in different Objects and when you Join them I don’t think they automatically merge. Also if your weight painting affects the mesh that would have been the hair system (not always a good idea because it’s not very predictable) you will have to duplicate the weighting in your Emitter mesh. So proceed with caution.

thank you for your thorogh answer, but it leaves me with some doubts as to what is best practices or the “professional” approach to coping/solving or preventing this problem?

Can’t speak to the “professional” aspect of things, as that term can have a number of meanings, but if you mean efficient and less troublesome to implement, I’d say that starting with a single object, even one composed of many discrete “parts” (like pieces of a robot body), before doing any armature building and binding is the better way to go. Each part an be given one or many Vertex Groups and painted independently of the other Vertex Groups, so there’s no need I can see to keep them as separate Objects. But, every model is different in some ways and there may be good reasons on your part for starting out that way.

The Hair particles issue is another matter, and there are ways of solving that as well, but unless there is some overriding reason not to, I recommend using an Emitter mesh Object separate from the rest of your body – it can be bound to the Armature and animated to “follow” the main body even though it is set to not render, if indeed you need to animate the furry parts :D. If the hair is essentially a static “wig” this works great. For facial fur, things get a little more troublesome, as it will likely need to move with the facial animation. In that case, given that it’s been “pre-built” as a separate Object, I’d leave it that way and simply weight-paint and animate it separately from the rest of the body, which could be joined from what you seem to be saying. I’ve read about a number of approaches that use a completely separate facial Armature as well, so that’s really not an unusual solution.

It’s always kinda painful to have to retrofit a new method onto an existing model and rig – in some industries they call that “rip up and re-try,” and it can hurt as much as it sounds like ;). But sometimes you just have to bite the bulllet and red-do some work in order to get things into a better state for future work, and check it off as a learning experience. Even for “professionals.”

Cool:D Well, I guess I “just” have to join all the part into one object and make som vertex groups:confused: