Weights via Blender API

Hello everyone,

I’m working with 2.49b at the moment and working on a model for a game I’m working on (for Android). I’m using OpenGL ES 1.1 (spent a lot of time on it before support for 2.0 came out some I’m sticking to it) and the matrix palette extension for animation of a mesh in-game.

Using an armature was new to me (still is for the most part) but I found my way through parenting an object to an armature and using name groups to micro-manage the verts and their weights. I also found that using just Vertex Groups and Quaternions in the Armature panel gave me the correct deformation (for some reason without Quaternions selected, verts close to joints don’t rotate around the pivot point but almost arc into the joint as the angle gets more extreme). So far so good…

I have a rather simple script (I’m new to Python but I’m a C developer so I’m figuring things out a bit at a time) that export selected verts to a simple text file. Using Links and Materials I can select verts associated to a particular bone and export… but I’m missing a crucial element… the weight percentages…

I’m currently scouring the API docs and trying to figure out how to get access to those weights. I’m hoping someone might be able to nudge me in the right direction…

Thanks a million,
-Jeremiah