Weird crystalline structure on my mesh

¨

How do I make my surface look smooth?

When you press W and click on smooth shading.

From the screenshot it seems 2.8: isn’t right click now?

The default in 2.8 is left-click to select, but you can right-click to get the same options alan is talking about. You can also set it to right-click select in the options.

Are we talking about the same thing?

OP asked how to get the surface smooth.
@Alan_Talbor replied: by pressing W and click on smooth.
As far as I know, in 2.8 W is not the shortcut to access the smooth shading option anymore, but right click instead.

W is the context menu for right clickers.

Yes, as alan says. When you use right-click select, W is the shortcut for opening the context menu.

Thanks for the replies! I have tried setting it to smooth in both object mode and edit mode, but it doesn’t help.

It’s almost as if the normals are pointing in all sorts of directions, but recalculating the normals didn’t work either.

You might have multiple vertices in the same location.

Smooth shading works by averaging the normals of all faces attached to a vertex. If a corner has multiple vertices in the same place, it will only use the normal for the face attached to each vertex, without averaging. This would cause the faces to appear flat.

Try selecting the problem area and merging vertices by distance.

Could it be that you have “Auto Smooth” enabled under the mesh properties? If so, find the right angle until it smoothens out, or disable it… If nothing else seem to have worked so far

Recalculating normals usually doesn’t solve normal problems. Try Normal > Average > Face Area, and if that doesn’t help, try Normal > Average > Corner Angle.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I have tried all your tips but it turned out that it was my limited understanding of bumpmaps that was the real problem.

Unwrapping only the faces where the bumpmap is and using the same material on all the other faces makes the normals confused. So the solution was to duplicate the material and remove the bumpmap from the new material instance and assigning it to the not-bumpmapped faces.