Weird line when rendering

Hiya,

So i followed a tutorial on how to make basic BPR node for materials and Im trying to render out the floor texture, but for some reason im getting this weird line across. I also noticed that the preview of the render looks weird.
Any idea s on what i might be doing wrong pls?

Thanks!

Does it go away when you unwrap the mesh and use UV mapping?

:confused:
i just hope it is not the ‘famous’ floating point bug of cycles ^^
as it’s quite neat to get rid of it…

just try with a simple white diffuse shader and see the problem is still there.
If it is, then it’s cycles bug
if it’s not then you’re lucky :slight_smile:

happy blending !

Nope still there :V
and its showing darker in the render than when in material preview on the mesh itself. I checked the lighting and twiddled with them still its darker than it should be.

Thanks for the info! Ill try it out :slight_smile:

You’re cropping screenshots and haven’t included a test file, so you’re asking everyone to guess, instead of finding out.

Forum doesn’t say you’re a new user, but in case you can’t prepare and include a file, http://pasteall.org/blend/

Thanks, I am a new user (well first time poster tbh)
But I don’t think I’m able to upload the file since its work related :v hence the screenies.
I’ll try and remove the main object from the scene and uplaod that tho because its just the floor thats not rendering well. Thx

http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=51520 <- link to the blend file.
I’ve got the floor on the first layer, on the second I’ve got the back wall and lights (which are hastily done I know, I was gna fix them later once the whole model is complete)

It’s hard to be sure because you didn’t pack the textures into the .blend, but from the names of the textures it looks like you’re using a Roughness map for your Normal Map node.

This is a big no no. Normal Mapping needs specific Normal Map textures to function correctly. You can tell Normal Map textures because they are usually a light blue-ish color with hints of red and purple and teal.

If you haven’t got the correct normal map texture for you object, you can try using the Roughness as a bump map instead. In that case, simply replace the Normal Map node with a Bump node, and connect the texture to the Height input.

2 Likes

OMG! That was a silly mistake ! yep I had the roughness file instead of the normal maps! I fixed it and it came good now!
Thank you so much!

^ How do i attach the textures with the blend file pls? (just in case id need to do this in the future)

Thanks so much!

File > External Data > Pack All Into .blend

1 Like

Ok Many Thanks!! :+1:

A few things about that

• All new and modified images need to be saved on the disk separately, they don’t save with the .blend
  • They also need to be saved on the disk first before they can pack in the .blend, and the autopack feature in the same menu to work
  • You can pack individual image files in UV/image editor, or with the button next to the editor fields that point to the file
  • Enable compress in file -> save as dialog, on the left. This uses gzip packing algorithm (.gz) to compress the file size, but doesn’t change the filename and is transparent to use
  • Image files compress badly because they’re usually already compressed. That’s why you might not want to pack all assets, and another reason is the licensing of those assets
  • Generated textures, image -> new: uv/color grid, may help to replace image textures, so you don’t necessarily need to pack color and bump maps, if the problem is repeatable with those

Like this thread shows, even if there are things you don’t want or can’t share, it pays to use time for preparing a file others can work with. It’s not the problem description that gives answers, just guesses, and you can be sure you would’ve gone through a lot of them and still not get the answer from this thread.

It’s not you though, most don’t know they should be asking help for collaborative troubleshooting instead of just describing their problem. When beginners do that, there are too many options to go through. When epxerienced users do that, there’s no hope anyone could guess correctly as it won’t be anything obvious
https://blenderartists.org/t/any-idea-why-any-new-lamp-does-not-illuminate-the-geometry/691545/5

1 Like

If that’s the finished “PBR” node group, I’d find another tutorial. There’s more to it than mixing diffuse and glossy with default fresnel.

Thanks for all the info!
So is done for sharing files between computers mainly?
I know that maya has a system where it creates a work folder and all source images and such are found within that folder which makes life easier - though I cant seem to find this feature on blender.

It was a very basic beginner friendly tutorial on BPR nodes :V ive got much to learn i kno - but gotta start somewhere right xD