Weird shading

I am a noob to blender. Recently I started to use blender to make some mods for American Truck Simulator. Some of the assets that I have imported from the game contains low poly models which make curves look blocky. The apparent simplest way (being a noob) to fix this is to use knife to cut through the face and make more vertices. Then you can manually move the vertex to make the blocky curve look more ‘curvy’. But whenever I use knife tool it messes up the shading as shown in the screen shot. Can somebody please help me here?

Hi, rather than having all the faces fan out from the same vert, it will be better to have some of them go to the edges and use quads when possible. This way there will be less stretching. Four extra verts won’t hurt :wink: ,

1 Like

Thank you so much for the reply. I will try that out.

I tried like you said. Still i cannot get a perfectly flat shading as it was before I edited it. Now it kind’a look like it has a slight dent in it. It will be way more visible when seen in game.

Any ideas?

maybe you can use a subdevide or the smooth function…
one question for me is, is this low poly? because of using it in a game… or doesn’t matter?
if doesn’t matter, i would use a lot more of verts in here…

1 Like

that’s odd, has it been in any other software?

1 Like

also maybe take a look at it with the normals matcap mat

1 Like

Moved your post to support topics for better classification and site organisation.

1 Like

This particular mesh is actually a small part of the larger mesh. I am just trying to learn here. So i just took this small part and deleted the rest of the mesh. Yet I can’t even figure out how to deal with this messed up shading. I have no problem adding more mesh. But the more verts I add the more messed up the shading gets.

In order to import the model from game to the blender you use a converter provided by scs software (game devs). The model is then converted to .pim file. You use an add-on in blender in order to import the .pim file.

ok got it, you probably need to delete the custom normals data that is imported with the model but interfering with the changes. https://blenderartists.org/uploads/default/original/4X/2/8/d/28d3a342d9f0ae77b30ba9a9736b62d7842c8e84.png

1 Like

If you have not another problem. Select all vertices, press S, X, 0, Enter.

1 Like

Thank you so much brother. Now it is much better.

My classes restarted yesterday and I cannot afford too much time on blender. Anyway I will post an update when I’m back on blender.
Once again thank you so much. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

great, looking forward to seeing it.

2 Likes

You can press [F3] and then input “limit dissolve”, it will merge to a single face, you can try it!

1 Like

I will try it out. Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face: