Welcome back dear winter----wipً

I love winter, I love that feeling when I drink a mug of hot cocoa or a nice cup of tea with some crispy home-made pastry, bread and olive oil for dipping, with the sound of hard rain falling on the roof.
I want to capture that mood.
So here’s the sketch and first images of my progress so far( been working on it for just a couple of days so nothing is finished yet :wink: )…
let the race begin!

ps: dipping hot bread in virgin olive oil is just too good to be true, I recommend it. Each year the olive season arrives after the first rain fall, so winter is the best time here to enjoy that extra virgin oil :yes:
Cheers!

Attachments

looking great so far two thumbs up :slight_smile:

Thanks lipton-lover :slight_smile:
Forgot to mention that I use ZBrush along with Blender.

Sup Jassar.
I like what you have done so far with your project.
Dipping bread in olive oil. Sounds like you have a very laid back traditional way of life up there.
Did u use Normal mapping for the fireplace?
I’ll look forward to updates.
Oh, will this be annimated or not?

I too love winter and also like what you doing too.

Great detail that already popping out on your character.

So far, no crits.

Grape Ape: Just saw your from Sydney. Where bouts are you located? Im in the North Sydney area.
Your website was first created in 2006 but there are no works yet uploaded? Are you still working on it?

Dipping bread in olive oil. Sounds like you have a very laid back traditional way of life up there.

Nah, it’s just a very popular way to eat bread with olive oil here :slight_smile: not a way of life.

Did u use Normal mapping for the fireplace?

No, I imported the high poly mesh directly from ZBrush ( fully textured ). Not a good thing to do, but it works fine since this is not an animation or game.

Great detail that already popping out on your character.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Cheers

Looking good! I discovered to joy of dipping bread into virgin olive oli around a year ago at an Italian Restaurant. Really good.:yes:

Your project is coming along well. I like the fact that you’re trying to capture a mood and not just make a random image. (like I tend to do):smiley: I think it will pay off that you’re deciding on the mood first and then make the model. Not the other way around.

I’ll watch this thread.

I live near Hornsby, bout 45 min train to the city.

I fiddled around with freewebs for a month or so, but their so slow at everything.
Just added new site in sig. Real basic not much up yet.

Grape Ape: What Tafe is offering that course? Sounds really good. Ive looked into doing a course at Tafe actually but they didn’t have much. Couple of CAD couses and a 3D animation course which they only offered to overseas students, go figure. I like the saucer on your website :slight_smile: Nice lighting.
Jassar: Wow, you’ve done some really nice artwork on your site too! I especially like the squid and the snail.

Red Yoshi, thanks for the support :slight_smile:

Wow, you’ve done some really nice artwork on your site too! I especially like the squid and the snail.

Glad you liked it FloorPlay, (^_^) an artist is always pleased to know that someone likes his art , I hope this image turns out better than my previous ones too.

update: I’ve chosen to make him a red-head… or red-beard ( whatever ).
I will post some images soon.
Cheers!

note: just to keep this thread from expanding to other topics I wish you discuss personal things on other threads , thanks :wink:

Here’s another small and quick scrn shot :cool:

Attachments

I like the red. The red is good. But you might want to try for a different shade…more orange-ish. A colorband would do it a lot of good. I won’t comment on the body since it obviously isn’t finished yet. Also, the head looks like it should be scaled along the y axis a bit. It seems quite flat right now…

[edit:] I just noticed my opinion on the red might be a bit biased… lol[/edit:]

I just noticed my opinion on the red might be a bit biased…

lol, it’s ok man :slight_smile: , everything you said is true, but all materials are just quick and simple at the moment, texturing is also on the way.

Cheers!

You might want to work on the ears (little flat), the bottom lip I’m not so sure but it could use some work and the nose points on the side I think could be more rounded.

just my 2c.

also, I’ve seen your croc and snail on the threedy forum, I might have to par-take in one of those stylized challenges soon.

-FloorPlay - It was through TAFE Plus, so was a little expensive but good equipment and great teachers. And it was located at Enmore design center near newtown.
If you want to know more just PM me.

Good points Grape Ape :yes: , I fixed the the things you’ve pointed out. I also made a very simple rig just to pose the guy.
Here are some scrn shots.

Note: I want this image to be stylized, that’s why the body is small compared to the head :slight_smile:

Attachments

Looks good…looks cozy.
I would work on the feet. You’ve got the right size, but the shape will need some work. Another thing that could improve the look of the sweatpants would be a little string around the waist. Otherwise you’re doing great.

Great job stylizing! This is gonna turn out pretty good.

Yeah, well you obviously have an artistic flair. If your website is anything to go by. Don’t know how long this project will take you but if history is anything to go by, this will be great. Seriously, i wish had your insite.

Many thanks for your support :o

The scene is starting to build up slowly, tons of details are still missing…

Cheers

Attachments

I think when you get into a detailed pose you should put his right hand on the chairs arm to give more feeling of weight, as if he’s steadying himself as he leans forward. Also fingers need be thicker.

looking good so far. : )