Welder

:-/ Huh?.. Do I need to dl a new copy? How do I activate cyclic toggle? And the last handful of versions have all been 0.0.4… should you maybe increment these each release? Thank you for your patience with your dim-witted customer(s)…

Sorry for not being clear. I updated welder after your post, so yes - you need to download new version, thanks for reminding me about incrementation.

Cool. Things are indeed becoming clearer, now that UI works for us 2.81 RMB-select folk. So how about activating cyclic toggle? Please lmk how I do that, and I am gtg.

Cool. Things are indeed becoming clearer, now that UI works for us 2.81 RMB-select folk. So how about activating cyclic toggle ? Please lmk how I do that, and I am gtg.

Check this checkbox before drawing.

2 Likes

Hehehe!.. Sorry pal, I hadn’t fired Welder up yet since you added that. Hopefully no one thinks I am quite that stoopit… but thanks for putting a bright red box around the toggle, just in case I could have possibly not noticed it, in that very complex and busy UI. :wink:

There’s one final strawberry to complete the cake: welder effect on selected curves/edges.
Third button named “from selected” with a tooltip claiming “use it on curves or edges”.
Disclaim: during the process the edge(s) should not be deleted from the selected object(s) to avoid the destruction of the(ir) geo.

3 Likes

I added detection of curves and single edges so if you select spline or edge in object mode instead of 2 objects, weld will be created along it. I’ll also add feature to create weld along selected edges during editmode (nondestructive as you suggested).

6 Likes

Thanks! it works pretty well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow Johnny, that would rock if you could make that happen in Edit mode. And doubly so if you this can be done in multi-edit mode! Please see what you can do. I’m holding off the next monetary endowment until we see how far you can take this. I’m a man of my word.

I think when the draw operator is active, the weld button should gray out. I tried this addon without watching any tut orso and was confused about how to get the drawing funciton to work. Then i found out it was right-clicking.

But this addon will be a huge timesaver. I did do some manual welding making test a couple years back. Though it looks nice, its way to tedious to make it all. Yours looks great, perhaps for real close up i should still do manual one.

I made this about 4 years ago. Didnt new a lot about texture paint so its a bt wobbly hahaha
More like some little kid found his dads welder and went nuts

4 Likes

Welder is now able to work also in editmode but not in all of the scenarios. You have to select either the continous edgeloop in order to create spline out of it, or select two separate meshes (all of their linked vertices) in order to weld them in similar way as in object mode.

I think when the draw operator is active, the weld button should gray out. I tried this addon without watching any tut orso and was confused about how to get the drawing funciton to work. Then i found out it was right-clicking.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll add some hint texts which will appear while modal operators are active.

3 Likes

I think it should be grayed out. It makes no sense that the button is active while it cant do an Operation.

PS is the it updated on Gumroad?

PS its also better to make a dedicated folder for the addon, that way all items stay near each other. Its cleaner (i added an image to make it clear) Now all files are scattered over the place in the scripts folder. This can also cause another issue. Say a different addon dev does the same and has some files with the same name. My guess Blender will over right the files since it doesnt care.

How it looks on import

More organised adding it to a folder and then zip it

Its super easy fix. Just add all files into a folder and rename that welder. Then rename the welder.py to “init.py”.

I tested it and still works like charm :slight_smile:

PS dont mind that pycache ofcourse. Dont really know why blender creates these actually?!?!?!

I think it should be grayed out. It makes no sense that the button is active while it cant do an Operation.

I checked it and it turned out that the button was not graying out in 2.8 version for some reason and it worked only for 2.7 version. It’s already fixed also for 2.8.

PS is the it updated on Gumroad?

Yes, it’s updated on gumroad and github.

PS its also better to make a dedicated folder for the addon, that way all items stay near each other. Its cleaner

Good point. I’ll change that as well.

2 Likes

cool addon, but there is very big weld size
look

there is minimum weld size
it must be to 10 times smaller

1 Like

You can scale it normally.

i can create whole weld normally too, isn’t it?

You have 5 different welding seams at your disposal.
Click on the Welder picture.
welder

sometimes it’s better to chew than talk

Upcoming feature, developed based on your suggestions. With this you will be able to edit weld’s shape with curve widget. I’ll probably publish it in a week or so after i’ll fix few bugs.

com-video-to-gif

17 Likes

Curve editing feature is now available for 2.7.

3 Likes