Welp, Substance is finally fully Adobe-ized

Delete if this has already been posted, but I did a search and didn’t see it.

For all of us Substance users who had the perpetual license, those days are finally at an end.

I’m truthfully surprised it lasted as long as it did. I’ll continue to upgrade until my maintenance ends, then I’ll probably just use whatever version I end up on until it’s so obsolete that there’s no point anymore. I’m sure by then someone else will have something cooked up to replace it.

Subscription models suck. And Adobe is not getting mine.

5 Likes

But hey, now that the fund has doubled, nearly two years later, at least these much better procedural texturing tools in Blender are in development now.

Not.

4 Likes

Can’t wait for Mixer to get texture sets/UDIMs

4 Likes

Well… it was posted year ago when it was announced.

Perpetual licence still can be obtained on substance3d.com till november via upgrade - so if you want it, its good time to get it.
Or via steam. But knowing how Adobe likes cash flow from subscription i guess it also will end somewhat soon.

What I’m saying is that the perpetual licenses are going away as of right now. I HAVE a perpetual license, and I’ve had it almost since the beginning of Substance for years now. They just told me today that once my maintenance plan ends, the perpetual license will no longer be valid and they invite me to buy a subscription.

I will not.

1 Like

Just to be clear, your perpetual license will always be valid. What is going away is upgrading the maintenance plan to get new updates. We will keep perpetual yearly licenses on Steam though, it’s usually the cheaper path to get a license, especially if you buy during a Steam sale.

3 Likes

For those needing an alternative, the guy who makes Material Maker is about to release version 0.93.

I’ve made some textures with it, and while it is a little rough around the edges (version 0.92, not the upcoming one), the results are not too shabby. It supports creating textures up to 4K at the moment, and even though the export options are to game engines, you do get all of the images you can use in Blender projects. He also plans to have a reliable and regular release schedule (unlike Texture Lab and other attempts).

1 Like

I’ve tried it, and while I applaud the initiative, it’s not anywhere near Designer, in any aspect. Guess I’m gonna need to do the unmentionable thing and subscribe till a viable alternative appears on the market that isn’t controlled by Adobe or Autodesk. But I hate it. Also have to take a look at Mixer. It’s also sub-only, but at least it’s not Adobe.

Have I missed some news or do you mean the material library with Mixer is subscription based? Last time I checked Mixer was free + included some free materials.

1 Like

Yeah, technically Mixer is free, it’s just the Megascans library that’s sub-based. But I’m not sure that it’s very useful without it, I haven’t really checked it out yet :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if I had it set up properly, but it ignored custom materials imported via Bridge (had to reimport them in Mixer), so it was annoying to use in that regard as a stand alone tool. If the whole Quixel ecosystem had better support for custom materials it would be a nice material manager for Blender and other 3d apps - I didn’t get it to work like that.

If the UI readabilty was bit better and some UI bugs get fixed it’s good enough for some projects since I rely on marmoset for baking anyway. It has decent mask stack for doing similar smart materials like painter.

Yeah, so I checked it out. From a cursory glance, it’s just not meant for generating materials at all, just blending between Megascans assets. I feel like you could replace most of its functinality with one or two custom nodes in Designer. It’s just not gonna cut it.

True. I was mostly comparing it to painter, not designer.

I wouldn’t count on perpetual licenses to remain working. One day I opened my legal CS6 and up popped a nice little message from adobe saying my license was no longer valid and I need to subscribe to continue use. No thanks, I haven’t touched anything adobe in years now.

3 Likes

This does not happen. Licenses are not revoked unless they are flagged for piracy. They could have been flagged by mistake though, and if that’s the case Adobe support could have helped you get your license back, but the statement that Adobe would revoke perpetual licenses is simply not true.

Perpetual licenses for Substance will never be revoked, if only for the simple reason that we can’t technically revoke them if you download a local license key from the website. As for Steam, purchased licenses cannot be revoked either, unless Steam closes somehow one day.

Oh, wow, my bad. Guess I love to make crap up. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

For what it’s worth: @Jerc works at Allegorithmic/Adobe, so would probably know a thing or two about how they work. What he says also doesn’t contradict your claim, just provides context, and a possible solution.

1 Like

I get that you won’t revoke my license, but the fact is that once my maintenance expires next month, my version is locked into whatever it is and can’t be upgraded ever again, unless I want to subscribe. That’s fine for a couple of years, but eventually my software will be so outdated as to be useless.

1 Like

After cancelling and getting a perpetual for usd 49, you are able to get a maintenance for painter/designer for another year (75 usd for painter, 75 usd for designer).

I did this some days ago.

I wouldn’t count it as being fully “adobe-ised” until it’s included in the Creative Cloud subscription. I have perpetual licences for Substance Painter and Designer and a Creative Cloud Subscription. I am not keen on adding any additional monthly subscriptions to drain my bank account further at the moment. I just can’t afford it.