Welp, Substance is finally fully Adobe-ized

@sovknight I would redirect you to the Steam version if you don’t want to subscribe. We will have coupons this year like previous years to let you upgrade to next years’ version for half price, and we will extend these coupons to current owners of standalone perpetual licenses who switch to Steam.

How do I do that exactly? I have my substance account linked to my steam account, but when I pull up steam, painter is not listed as one of my programs. How would I go about upgrading through steam if it doesn’t show up?

We’re in the process of setting that up. We’ll post more details in the coming weeks. We’ll basically give you a free Steam 2020 license, that way you’ll get access to the upgrade discount for 2021.

2 Likes

Devil’s advocate here:

I get the desire to both get new updates and still retain the original value invested in the software - I too was at first against the subscription model.

That was until I did a few years of Adobe subscription for my day job, and experienced the feed of updates from Adobe for each of the apps I use, including new tools (finally, old days meant years between new tool introduction) and bug fixes. I also can now get feedback on bug tickets and they actually answer me.

This all actually very closely resembles the environment of a certain OSS that I love - Blender. I ‘subscribe’ by paying a low monthly rate to help the dev fund, and I can constantly download latest builds on builder.blender.org to check out the newest tools and bug fixes, and I can get really good feedback on ideas for improvements and bug issues.

I dare say that we are actually just holding onto a tired and obsolete view of how computers and software relate - because even our phones and tablets and computers need that constant rollout of updates for a lot of smaller changes, and the software you use can be very important to get right so that project can be completed.

Balance in the overall cost versus income, that is what I look at. Blender and Adobe software, yes, I can say i make enough to make it worth it for me. Autodesk - heck no, I don’t make that kind of money.

Just my simple opinion, and not to belittle anyone’s stance presented here.
Craigo

1 Like

I’m not strictly opposed to a subscription model, but here’s my reasoning as to why I’m not willing to do it.

I’m a hobbyist. I don’t make 3D stuff for a company or even for a living. I do it because I enjoy making art. I can’t justify spending money month after month for software when I get very little (or in most cases, no) return value on it. It just doesn’t make sense. For a professional or a company, sure. It’s justified because you’re (hopefully) making revenue on your brand/product/whatever that can offset the cost of subscription software, but I do not. I enjoy having the best software I can get, but I cannot afford to pay for it over and over again every month.

So, whereas I don’t have an issue with maybe paying a few bucks every couple of years for a major update, I simply will not pay month to month. The subscription model just isn’t made for someone like me.

3 Likes

Material Maker 0.93 is now out, the most promising of FOSS alternatives has gotten some polish along with new nodes.

I’m serious when I say it is the most promising thing FOSS has to offer, as Neo Texture Edit is dead, Pixaflux (which I tried) is downright confusing, and Texture Lab (which I also tried) does not seem to show much development.

2 Likes

Once it went to subscription, it has not been updated much. Very meager changes from what I have seen. This is the issue with subscriptions, once there is steady revenue coming in with the threat of cutting a user off from their files, updates will slow to a crawl. No reason to convince them to spend money for new features.

1 Like

Not sure if you’re talking about Substance or subscription in general, but the idea that switching to subscription has or will slow down the output is not true. The idea that somehow we would suddenly become lazy and stop working or work slower on purpose is really strange. Adobe doesn’t pay its employees to procrastinate all day :smiley:

The teams are unchanged and we definitely work as hard if not harder than before to deliver new value for the apps. The last year and a half we released more updates and features than we’ve ever had in previous years and there is tons of new stuff coming next year.

2 Likes

For me, the only problem with subscriptions is that the model itself only works for a small fraction of the world. I mean, the price in dollars represents a big, sometimes huge amount of money for third world countries and people there are monthly “obligated” to pay a lot… or just pirate the whole thing. The lack of regional pricing is just plain wrong in my opinion.

This affects directly Substance here in Brazil. There is a Steam version with (a really good) regional pricing. Once there is only subscription, the end price will sky rocket for us. Just a basic math, but for us, we will pay 10 months more of subscription, while today just two months would pay the entire annual licesing (with Steam’s regional pricing). That’s how bad the business is on a weak economy. :slight_smile:

Just one example: Houdini indie costs R$ 1.000 in Brazil on Steam with regional pricing, while the same license directly from Side FX would cost R$1.700. 70% more.

2 Likes

@Jerc - Will there every be the possibility that the Substance programs are included in the main Adobe Creative Cloud plan? As I mentioned above, I have perpetual (but outdated) versions of Painter and Designer and I’m paying for the full Creative Cloud suite. Coronavirus has ruined my usual line of work since March and no end in sight, so I am very reluctant to add another subscription service to the pile that already assaults my bank account every month.

1 Like

Piracy it is then.

I, on the other hand, hope that it doesn’t become exclusively a Creative Cloud app. I know that it’s handy for you guys that are already on it - I just don’t want anything to do with CC anymore.

One fear I have, tho, is that the Linux version will disappear at some point - since Adobe has no interest in porting any of their products for Linux. I hope that Substance continues to allow us to run it natively (no wine).

Daf

Or just throw your support behind the FOSS alternatives. If Blender and Godot teach anything, it is the fact that it is not impossible for well-managed projects to actually succeed in taking users from the large commercial vendors.

The FOSS movement is very strong right now, if you don’t feel like plunking down any money to help fund development, you can instead create amazing work and promote the solutions that way.

1 Like

I’m in this boat as well. I’m an individual, not a business. I’m not making piles of money on my art.

I actually used to sing the praises of Allegorithmic’s ‘rent-to-own’ pricing model for indies where after you pay for X months you could get a perpetual. Nobody else really had a licensing model like that and I thought it was very progressive. But that’s gone now and I am far less likely to to recommend any Substance software to other people because of it. The subscription model is cancer.

2 Likes

There are no plans to retire the Linux versions. We spent years building our UDIM features for the VFX industry, we’re not going to throw that effort away :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The most important difference here being that Blender won’t stop working the day you cancel your subscription. While I’m not really planning to stop paying for either Blender or Substance, in my mind that makes Blender a worthwhile investment, and Substance a dangerous addiction that I ought to ditch the first chance I get.

The rent-to-own system was good. I can’t imagine that many people were stopping their subs and converting, so it can’t have been terribly profitable to switch to sub only. Why Allegorithmic would choose to turn all their goodwill around is beyond my ken.

4 Likes

Good to hear, Jerc! Thanks for the reply! :slight_smile:
Daf