What are the best ways to keep the game running smooth

So , what are the best ways to keep the games smooth?I am asking this to just know,that will help me in my next games :smiley: .

well obviously the poly count keep it low and also texture sizes (i would go max of 2 512* texture sheets per charater) also lots of pysics and logic bricks will slow it down

I’ve noticed , that the logic bricks slow it down - will using python help?

It will help if you use python to set the logic speed higher. The logic bricks are using that.

Set up an always sensor with both positive and negative pulses turned off to something basic like your ground plane. Connect to a python controller that says:

import GameLogic

GameLogic.setLogicTicRate(60.0)

Other than that, it doesn’t much matter if you use Python or Logic bricks.
Setting it abnormally high will only make your program not run on a lot of computers since the 60.0 is the equivalent of frames per second (updates per second would be more accurate) and 60 is a pretty decent speed for things to run at.

Cool , that works , thanks , fireside.What about the “too much dynamic objects” thing.Do i have to do many scenes(dont like that :x ) , or are there any ways over it or something(would like that :smiley: )?

i dunno who it was (think it may have been nor.j) but there was a topic on how you can make seemless scene changes but cant seem to find it

Fudge

What about the “too much dynamic objects” thing

What do you mean by that are you getting an error or something? As far as I can tell the engine is running faster than it was so it should handle more dynamic objects if anything.

I mean when there are too many dynamic objects it sometimes starts to go slow or unsmooth(often after i have more than about 15 dynamic objects and depends on what they’re like).

Is it still happening since you switched the logic speed?

Does it do that too?About how many dynamic objects could i have in one scene with this logic thingy to keep the game smooth?

You’ll have to test it. Don’t take anyone’s word for anything, not mine or anyones.

Is there any way to speed up the game when i do the add object thingy(how the hell do the games like Max Payne 2 go so smooth when i shoot like crazy with two dual imgrams(uzi’s for short),and there are so many enemys , that shoot like crazy idiots and the game runs impressivly smooth)?

Is there any way to speed up the game when i do the add object thingy(how the hell do the games like Max Payne 2 go so smooth when i shoot like crazy with two dual imgrams(uzi’s for short),and there are so many enemys , that shoot like crazy idiots and the game runs impressivly smooth)?

Well, because the engine was more recently written by a team of highly paid and highly skilled programmers working full time over a number of years. The add object is a logic controller, so you can speed up that logic number of 60.0 (make sure you put in a decimal point). The problem then being that your eliminating people with lower end computers from playing your game. If that doesn’t help it’s because your computer is too slow for the resources that the engine is demanding. Really, though, if you want to do a Max Payne clone, you should get the engine and do a mod. There’s probably some way to export Blender models and eventually get there. You might have to use Milkshape as a middle man.

There’s no question the Blender engine is dated. I’m looking into the possibility of using an Ogre engine called Yake with it. Don’t know if I’m capable or not, but there’s no harm in trying.

(make sure you put in a decimal point)

Uhhhhh , how do you do that and what is a decimal point anyways(dont know whats that in english :expressionless: ).

if you want to do a Max Payne clone

no , not that much(i dont need that good graffics and stuff , and ive got my own ideas :smiley: ) and not so many enemys(I can live with a little bit less :smiley: )

you should get the engine and do a mod

No WAY , Blender is the one and only for me(maybe it isnt that perfect , but comparing to other game engines this is like a super duper puper shmooper … one :smiley: .No other engines will ever get as good as blender(at least for me :smiley: )!

Uhhhhh , how do you do that and what is a decimal point anyways(dont know whats that in english icon_redface.gif ).

It’s the period in the number like 60.0

Python needs the decimal point to know that your dealing with a floating point number, a number that can be more accurate, or an integer, which is just a whole number. That function gets passed to c ++ and demands a floating point number, so you always write 60.0 not 60. So, if you want to try to raise your logic speed to say 100 then you write
GameLogic.setLogicTicRate(100.0)

Oh , thats what a decimal point is (how could i’ve been so stupid , this word sounds allmost the same in our country language). :smiley: