What are the limitations of the Blender Game Engine?

Hellooooooooooooo
So… I’ve been watching some tutorials about game engines and most of the people used Unity and so I would like to know I any of you guys could explain me the limitation of the blender game engine compared with this kind of alternative programs :3

Thank you so much!

[If any admin consider this is not the appropriate place to put this thread, feel free to move it to the right place ;)]

As far as gameplay and visuals go? There really aren’t any real limitations. BGE has just about all the features that other 3d game engines have. On very rare occations you may have to be clever and take an unconventional route to do what you want, but its most likely still possible. :wink:

Please use the forum search (or google, site:blenderartists.org) to find the many other threads already open on this topic.

Animation is not very quick,

2d filters are costly,

however I have not scene (;)) many limits to what you can do,
with some planning, like lod, and dynanic loading etc,

with many actions you can probably get away with baking out the animations, shifting the resource usage to the ram?

also, I think harware armature skinning was something Moguri had been working on,

I have found a way around ik and animation for mechanical/simple riggs etc using alignAxisToVect and localizing the target to impose limits,

Also exporting (PC only) isn’t very friendly and GPL bound which (even though there is a way around it), is why many game developers steer clear of BGE.

1 Like

Yes animations are limited but that is being handled in the refactoring project.
2d filters arent any more costly on the bge than they are on any other engine.

All-in-all Its still easier to work with the BGE than any other engine because of the integration and balanced programming system. I think an occational work around is acceptable.

1 Like

there are many threads answering this same question, as agoose77 suggested you should browse through them. Just type “Blender Game engine limitations” in search box above right to nav-bar and you will find plenty of answers.

Hey! Glad to see you back on BA! :smiley:

Well it is been a long time,
Thank you so much Terra for your comments, also thank you all of you for giving such valuable info. However, I was wondering what is the Unity thing about, I mean, most of the people use it… why?. I’m completly noob in game creation and so, and I’m wondering why, it is because it is easier to use, more visual?, less complicated?, more intuitive?..

Also thanks those of you telling me posting this thread was a cute mistake. My only intention was to get some questions answered, and of corse I’ve used the find bar, however I was not satisfied with the answers I saw then I decided to make my own thread.

Have a nice day…

Try them all, spend a few days checking which one you feel more comfortable with and use that. Base your choice on the workflow that better suites your way of doing things and not on sheer capabilities because we all want to make Destiny but we don’t have 500 millions and a couple thousands people to work with so our game won’t look like that, won’t play like that, won’t work like that. Hopefully, though, it will have a better story.

Unity is very easy to use, and is very user friendly, particularly to newcomers to game creation such as yourself. If you’re looking for a good place to start, that would be it. If Unity 4 were still around, I would tell you to steer clear of it like the plague, as honestly if you were willing to put in more work, it wasn’t that much better than the BGE. Unity 5 introduced a lot more optimization, global illumination, all that good stuff straight out of the box. Also now that Pro features are free, it’s a lot more viable for Indie developers who can’t afford the absurd price.
I personally like UE4 the most, because of it’s fantastic workflow and simply just raw power. Unity 5 comes close to UE4, but just isn’t there yet. Something I do like about Unity though is that I can import .blend files directly into the engine, which means I don’t have to go back and forth with .fbx files every single time I want to make a change.
Note that BGE is really good for prototyping, but not so good for making an actual game. It is very much out of date, and isn’t really meant to make full games anyway. That doesn’t mean that great games like Krum and great developers like martinsh don’t exist though.
Long story short, if you want to dive right in, UE4 is free and really, really fun to play around with. As a beginner however, I would recommend starting with Unity until you’re ready to get into something a bit more powerful. (I wouldn’t learn to drive in an Audi, for example.)

Nice advise, thanks ;3