What are the various modeling techniques to improve modellin

Hi,

I am a blender newbie and I am trying to learn from the experts here.
I wonder if the seasoned pros could share some tips and techniques.

i) Is there any way to select polygon or face so that I can extrude them without having to select the individual vertices?

ii) Is there any way to use box select without having to type A to deselect
the previously select vertices. I feel that it is a chore when I tried to fine tune my models. I need to move some vertices e.g. to tuck some vertices around a corner, then move some other vertices around some other corner, so what I will do is to hit A, B, G to move the first set, then A, B, G to move the second set… and so on… is there any faster way or easier way?

iii) How to create a half object and create a linked object (which can be done via Alt-D) BUT I only subsurf only the duplicate object NOT the original so that while I am tweaking the original, I can still view how it would look when it is subsurf?

Regards
Malcom Tay ([email protected])

Well, I’m no expert but I’ll try answering your questions :wink:

Yes, it’s a bit of a hack but it works quite effectively. If you go into UVFaceselect mode, you can select faces with right-click. Once you have selected them, go to object mode then editmode. If you go straight to editmode, the mesh becomes transparent for some reason. Then just extrude.

No, you have to do it that way. 3D work isn’t easy y’know :). The thing is, if you want to move different sets, you have to deselect and reselect. You have to do this in all 3D software.

I used to do that in Maya using a subdiv proxy. Blender’s way is better though. If you turn on subd, the mesh you see is still the low poly mesh. I just flip subd on/off regularly to make sure my model is ok but I mainly just model with it off.

do you mean you just want to deselect some, but not all vertices? If so there is a way.
you can deselect groups of vertices with box or circle select by using the Middle Mouse button to confirm instead of the Left button. Not sure if thats what you were asking for though.

ii) How to create a half object and create a linked object (which can be done via Alt-D) BUT I only subsurf only the duplicate object NOT the original so that while I am tweaking the original, I can still view how it would look when it is subsurf?

Under subsrf press the optimal button and you can edit your mesh while it appears subsurfed eg:

http://members.shaw.ca/rjplus/optimal.jpg