What are you most ashamed of about blender.

Man, there’s nothing to be ashamed of using Blender. There’s everything to be proud of the fact that you know how to use it. Lots of people, rookies and pros, alike can’t even go beyond scrutinizing the interface which they thought sucks. Haha… in fact, that’s what I like about Blender. Many have given up, while me here can be proud of the fact that there is this free 3d app which I can use doing what I like.

http://img283.imageshack.us/img283/809/headsamplesv5.jpg

I dont think Im really ashamed of anything in Blender
Though trying to explain why one of the primitives is a monkey…

it could be worse, you could have to explain why one of the primatives is a teapot;)

yeah, but they dont name the teapots ‘Roxanne’
:wink: :wink:

What, you still sour over the Draconity thing? I know the truth now so I’m completely over that. You’re right, it’s not real at all, I’m wrong and you’re right. None of the other Dragons are really Dragons ect…

Back on the topic, I’m ashamed to see people call Blender downright inferior to their applications, Blender will probably put them to shame one day little do they know.

Also, the widgets, I can’t find a good use for them, annoying to accidently pull one of the handles in object mode and it moves your object.

Just click em off…you know, thie little hand button…

Only I sometimes forget and accidently pull a handle before I realize I hadn’t turned them off.

ah, gottcha, been there…

If so, I apologize. Hope I didn’t come off as too harsh.

Glad to hear you are active in the community . . . but it still seems odd that you’d be ashamed of this software of which you say, “I love blender and it has become a wonderful part of my life. I have so much fun that I regularly show others,” . . .

Isn’t it like being in love with a great person who naturally has some flaws, and being embarrassed to introduce them to others because she has a big nose?

I figured that much. And being together, it seemed as if the first was all about praising Blender, and that yours was about bashing it.

Well, I didn’t see any mention of possible solutions in the original post, so it didn’t seem to be of a constructive nature. Besides, I thought we already had threads dedicated to feature requests (which includes feature improvements too, I believe).

Again, sorry if my comments seemed confrontational. It’s just annoying that there are so many immature discussions cluttering up this great forum. I hate to see anyone just wasting time & other resources (including their own).

Best regards,

Cire

Just to reiterate, I AM NOT ASHAMED OF BLENDER. And don’t you dare complain about blender either. What I’m saying is, a lot of times I get about 15 minutes to convince people that blender is THE 3d program to use. There are certain things I proudly demonstrate (fluids, modeling, UV unrwrapping, sculpt), and there are certain things I sort of gloss over because I know if I can just get them to use it, they’ll fall in love with blender.

Imagine if blender didn’t support long filenames but was limited to 8 letter names. Well, I still wouldn’t be ashamed of blender, and elephants dream would still be possible, but If I were showing the program to someone else, you can be sure I’d not mention the “no long filenames” thing til I had em good and hooked. Thankfully that isn’t the case, but I was wondering if there are things you sort of “gloss over” when showing off blender.

no font preview support; texture browsing (being fixed); clunky object creation (very minor); beveling; ‘weird keybindings’ (copy and paste; quitting and saving ; ) ; - that is mostly it.

LetterRip

I’m not ashamed of any of the software I use. As long as I get yields with it, it’s cool. Blender hasn’t run out of it’s usefulness yet. It’s just software. Forreal.:smiley:

What am I ashamed of … yowza!

Well the fact is that everybody craves so badly to the “proofesional” vibe, so badly in fact that Blender lost quite a lot of it’s bold punk-rock attitude I remember from good old ELYSIUN days and before.

It was so badass and punk I couldn’t resist using it back then when I was doing web and presentations for a local Stihl importer. Can you imagine spitting in the face of Kapital like that? It felt almost like f**ing a nice girl from a goood pedigree family.

And now?
Polished. Almost, tbh. (I was away from 3d for a year or so and when I occasionally check what’s going on, I see a Brainwashed Attentionwhore Dragon - CIA must be doing some wicked experiments again - and a superwoman who ain’t feminine at all).

Somebody is secretly stealing the funk out of it.

I guess I would say that being in Japan and often dealing with Japanese, I’m a bit ashamed that Blender’s file browser can’t handle Japanese filenames. I’ve just gotten used to the fact that “Desktop” is “fN34bs” on my system but it’s a little embarrassing to show people. Also, the fact that this can’t be well localized discourages Japanese Blender users from putting more effort forth towards localizing the parts that can be localized.

Hmm another - to get SDL sound to work you must disable gameengine sound.

LetterRip

i just wrote, then added this am to the multiple materials section of the wiki to clear up the originally quoted mistake commonly made. i am embarrased about some parts of the doco, which is why I spend so much time writing it, and rewriting it into a form useable to users. For example, multiple mats, vertex groups have been in Blender since like day 2, yet there was nothign in the wiki.

blendDoodler: my feelings exactly. I’m just having fun with what I’ve been given.

I think “ashamed” is not right phrasing. “Embarassed that I screwed up trying to show off and muffed it up,” would be better. Maybe kind of like eskimos defining different types of snow, but you get the point. “Ashamed” kind of beckons towards getting caught in the act of screwing your mother’s favorite poodle. This I have never had happen to me personally. I’ve only heard of such circumstances, you understand.

tedi: you’re getting sentimental and reminiscent. That’s not very punk of you. Get thee to a mosh pit.

In the past I remember many Blender discussions in forums with a big emphasis on "dis’- ing Blender in the 3d community at large. I would tell folks if they wanted to try out Blender all they had to do was just download it. The issue has changed greatly, lately. Some things speak for themselves.:smiley:

I have seen comments by other 3d “power” app "hobbyist to the tune of woulda, shoulda worked with Blender. I still say, whats stoppin’ ya?:smiley:

If folks really got deep into using Blender they would be more concerned about getting great renders out of it. :smiley:

I assume your referring to MAX’s teapot primitive.

Thats not a teapot, its the teapot.

http://www.sjbaker.org/teapot/

Respect the teapot :wink:

Cheers,
Xarf

Don’t be ashamed, use your forces with Blender…

http://www.geocities.com/zakskywalker/pictures/no1.jpg

Since I first used Blender it’s been like this. After a while it will seem like you can see around corners and stuff. In the end you fell like you can do anything with Blender. Actually you “know” you can do anything with Blender.:smiley: