What do I need to learn to create an industrial visualisation animation in Blender?

I have this vision of the warehouse of the future.
Been in this industry for 17 years and consider becoming a part of it’s future tech.
Using Verge3D for blender makes sense for presentations.

What I want to make to present my ideas is like this video here at 2:33

Well, to do things like that, it will not be complicated. You just have to learn

• basic modeling
  • basic material setup
  • basic lighting
  • basic dynamics/physics simulation
  • rigging, (not always basic, but depends on what you want to do)
  • basic animation.

This thing is pretty easy to do, you can find easy begginer tutorials on youtube or in the internet :100:

If you want more information, don’t hesitate to reply

1 Like

Thank you for that list!

This will be plenty for the semi-noob to begin with.

Good day to you!

1 Like

All right. I am running into some time wasting obstacles.

Currently making a pallet by hand, and would like to create a pallet generator, where I type in dimensions for the pallet, blocks and the boards/planks and have them all line up mathematically correct.
This seems to be a matter of scripting, geometry nodes and modifiers like booleans and arrays.

There are many different pallet standards, and the user must be able to switch between those to see the design in real time.
This will also come in handy when dynamically designing the rest of the warehouse.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

This image shows the building blocks:

1 Like

Ok, concerning the pallet generator, not sure how to do it, maybe it exist add-on for that, but I couldn’t give more information… :man_shrugging:

But if you want to type in the dimensions, when pressing “N” key, a tab will appear, then go to “Item”, and you will see information about your object, where you can change, location, rotation and scale, manually (units are in meter).

I highly recommend you not to use sculpting for that, you will juste loose your time and hardware space. You can have the details and textures with images textures, and with a have a little height detail with the bump node. :100:

You can find good images texture at “Quixel Megascans”, they have some awesomes 3d models, surfaces, textures, decals, even brushes, and all for free :

I’m sure there’s thing you want that you could easily do with geometry nodes, but since I’m not an expert in the subject, I can’t help you more, arrays can help too, (booleans ? not so sure why you would need them :thinking:)

To switch between the pallets, you could either organize them by collection, and manually hide and reveal. Or you could set keyframes, who show and hide collection as you advance (but it means moving the playtime manually)

For the real time, you can work with the Eevee render engine, who works perfectly for that :slightly_smiling_face:

The booleans I won’t use.

Quixel is way to realistic for the moment.

Otherwise the basic block are ready and it’s time to create the pallet assembly machine.

1 Like

I see you got the bevel on the edges, very important ! :100:

1 Like

It is actually cavity shading and just looks bevelled.

1 Like

oh yes, but either way it catch the lights, and w can see well the edges so it’s good :+1:

1 Like

Yes. I love this feature. Makes it look like I’m some serious engineer or industrial designer.

1 Like

But – do you actually need a "pallet generator," now? This is the first time that you have suggested requirements like: “the user must be able to switch between these in real time.” Exactly what sort of presentation (simulation?) are you endeavoring to produce?

From this description, it almost seems to me like you’re contemplating a video game engine situation – not an “animation” as in a “short movie.” Please clarify.

The pallet generator is a micro part of a much larger project for a production pipeline design concept.

The “user” is mostly myself at the moment. Eventually, the user will either “play through” the concept, or watch videos of each production step. One such step is changing pallet types as well as pallet parts sizes for custom jobs and the production pipeline will adjust and produce the desired pallets in real time, as proof of concept.

Since posting this, I have moved the project to the Unreal Engine and will either model there procedurally, or create the basic parts in Blender and export them to Unreal. I’m a Blender noob and an Unreal Engine super user, hence abandoning Blender for more than mesh part modeling and procedural shaders.

1 Like

Update:
For anyone coming here from the future and considering CAD precision designs using Blender and Unreal Engine for visualisations / interactive experiences. This is my current workflow:

1. Define the design steps and specs in a text document.
  2. Use a spreadsheet to automatically calculate transforms for all object parts.
  3. Model the parts in Blender and use the array modifier to establish the required floor space.
  4. Import the parts or whole objects into Unreal Engine.

Check out this YouTube channel for precision modelling in Blender:
https://www.youtube.com/c/MakerTales

Thanks for this, it sounds like a good idea.

It has saved me a lot of time. This can be converted into arrays of vectors and exported as a csv file to use in Unreal Engine for instant building from the parts, or even make the basic shapes in Unreal.

Yeah, for me it would be a simpler application but I think it might be useful.

Like you, I’m working toward an interactive env (training+), but… while modeling (Blender), “sample” animation & base controls (actuators + drivers) are nearly complete, I’m stuck on parameterizing + proper triggers (w/o a “running timeline” and trigger delays), and have 0 game engine experience. Any thoughts on ramping up on solutions using a game engine (bge, unity, unity, gadot…) vs Python scripting? My next steps will be filling in web data and running on Web/XR. Thanks so much!