What happened to smooth loop cut?

It has just come to my attention that there used to be an option to hit “S” after using loop cut (Ctrl+R), which would allow users to automatically smooth the loop cut based on the surrounding vertices. Was this removed in 2.5? I’m making an organic model right now, and this feature seems pretty vital.

Thanks in advance. I hope the option hasn’t been completely deprecated.

I always found it difficult to get consistent results with this tool. perhaps that is why it disappeared.

There is add on called Mesh Relax. When activated from Preferences, Relax will show up when you hit [W] key. Just select the vertex around the loop cut and Relax it. You usually need to hit Relax number of times. That will smooth it out.

There is add on called Mesh Relax. When activated from Preferences, Relax will show up when you hit [W] key. Just select the vertex around the loop cut and Relax it. You usually need to hit Relax number of times. That will smooth it out.

Not the same. The smooth Jergling mentions is not the smoothing from relax.

For example, the smooth loopcut allows you to add an edgeloop to a sphere which follows the curved surface. Normal loopcut will create a nasty flat faceloop. Using relax on that flat faceloop won’t help, since relax smooths the vertices and keeps the volume.

I find that using Shrink/Fatten (Alt+S) or Push/Pull (no shortcut) after creating an edgeloop can do the same thing

Well, thanks for the replies. I’ll have to try out shrink/flatten. I’m working on some pretty dense organic meshes, so push/pull just doesn’t cut it.