What is each rendering optimization structure is for?

Could someone explain how to best use the new rendering optimization structures, like how each one is different?

do you mean render passes? like diffuse, specular, refraction, etc? If so, then see wiki user manual Render section Render Passes

I think he is referring to the new 2.5 optimization. In 2.49 there is just octtree. In 2.5 there are others. I am not for sure about this, but it may be as simple as interior, exterior.

Yes, Atom, that’s what I mean. What I want to know is what are each of the optimization structures are for.

I am not for sure about this, but it may be as simple as interior, exterior.

It’s not that simple. I’m look for what the structures do exactly.

i’ll second that, i want to understand it too :slight_smile:

Wow, serendipitous. I was JUST coming in here to search for this topic, and post it myself if it wasn’t already here.
I too would REALLY like to know when to use each different rendering structure … right now i just leave it set to auto, but i’m sure knowing what each one was for and how to use it would GREATLY help getting more optimized render times and memory usage, I’m sure.
please. thanks. =D

You know you can google the acceleration names and read up on it. Decide for yourself…

Shallow Bounding Volume Hierarchies for Fast SIMD Ray Tracing
http://www.uni-ulm.de/fileadmin/website_uni_ulm/iui.inst.100/institut/Papers/QBVH.pdf

I just do test renders and choose the fastest one. I rarely use auto except in early scene development.

Fwiw, here are the release notes

http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-250/ray-tracing-optimization/

Most of the sparse documentation on the acceleration options ends up saying “try a method and see what works for you”, as Atom has done.

Quite a few of these optimizations are designed to minimize search times by minimizing the search space. If you are doing millions of calculations involving a world that contains perhaps thousands of objects, you need to know precisely which objects to consider, and which ones to ignore.

It’s very much an axiom that “the trade-off is: speed vs. space.” This is one reason why a rendering machine needs memory even more than it needs processors.

Thanks for the info. That, uh, looks like quite a paper … very technical. I certainly read it and see if I can make sense of it all. :wink:
Guess i’m looking more for user-end general guidelines tho. Agreed of course that the better I understand the options the better I’ll be able to use them. … also the personal testing …

I usually use “SIMD SVBVH” for all 3 of the scenes I made in Blender 2.5. I find it to be the fastest. So, if anything, I suggest to start there.