What is happening to Blender with 2.8 release ? from everyday user perspective... and more

All this pie in the sky rhetoric about freedom from capitalism is just that. We live in the real world. In the real world money exists and it can be used to buy things. We need to buy things to survive. Therefore you sell services (job), or sell something to make money (commerce).

I’m surprised this thread is still going. The FOSS has no issue with people making money on software, the GPL has no issues with it, Stallman has no issue with it. But Blender users have issues with it and they seem to know more about what the “spirit of OSS” than Stallman? Yeah I don’t think so.

So this thread is basically going in circles now. With nothing of real value being added to it other than people writing long nonsensical diatribes about some idealistic future where humans all of sudden decide that money doesn’t exist (never going to happen) and that the need of it doesn’t make the world go round.

So to summarize:

1. The “spirit of OSS” is bunk or has been misinterpreted. To be frank its been misused to justify people claiming that everything in an OSS project should be free.

2. The FOSS (the authority at least in respect to the GPL) has no issues with the selling of software as long as the code is accessible.

3. Developers have tried other means to get compensation for their work, and people have shown that they would rather not pay when given the choice. Developers still need the resources (money) to continue supporting their tools. The marketplace gives them those resources.

Do I have everything?

10 Likes