What is my weakest portfolio piece?

Hey, I’m applying to a few game artist jobs, and I’d like to know which is my most amateur crappy looking portfolio piece. Some pieces were made this year, others up to 5 years ago.

PORTFOLIO:
https://igorcg.artstation.com/

I could offer some comments on your pieces.

What to keep: you can definitely keep the wooden door and the steampunk assets: those show some great texturing skills and are overall good portfolio pieces, especially in the context of applying to a game studio.

What to remove: The fusion core and the plasma pistol, because they are untextured. While they are well modelled, a game studio won’t be interested in unfinished assets. However, they both could be made into great pieces with some texturing and better presentation, this could be a good opportunity for some solid new pieces. The fusion core would also need better lighting and camera.

Some other comments:

-The fantasy assets are not bad, but the untextured tree looks like an unfinished test asset, not a portfolio piece.

-The rifle is a good showcase of hard surface modeling and is well made, you should keep it but guns are something many 3D artists do and it won’t easily stand out in a portfolio.

-Igaming screen: I am not really sure what I am looking at here, or if it’s relevant to a game studio.

NFT pass: A well-made, high-quality model, but could scare some people away depending on their views on NFTs. Controversial topics are a thing to watch for in a presentation.

1 Like

I agree with everything etn249 said, I would also add that your overall presentation is somewhat lackluster. Your assets are all just floating on a grey or black background. While it’s a good idea to make the focus on the assets, I think you could still use neutral backgrounds with a bit more visual interest. A color harmonious with the asset would add more “pop” and also show that you have a good eye for color palettes, which is important in any visual field.

Thanks for the feedback, the thing is, the files are gone, so I thought including those pieces could still show additional sculpting and modeling skills. Do you think they harm the portfolio more than they add?

They possibly could. From what I have always been told about portfolios, it’s better to have a handful of amazing pieces than loads of average ones.

Studios want to see your work at its finest, they have to look at loads of candidates’ work and yours needs to make a strong impression quickly. You don’t want to make busy recruiters have to sift through loads of untextured models to get to the good stuff. Also, some companies will have the human resources people receive and sort your application before it ever gets to someone who knows the technical side, so you increase your chances if your work also looks good to someone who’s not a 3D artist.

Basically, build your portfolio as if busy recruiters were going to skim through it and only remember parts of it: every single piece could end up representing your full set of skills. Also, it’s fine to showcase the technical side of the models (wireframe and others), but the artistic side of the piece should be obvious and at the front.

The competition for a modelling/texture artist is going to be fierce. If you truly want a job in that field, never stop improving, even if you are making new pieces just to put them in your portfolio. And when an older piece starts to look weak by your current standards, you can replace it with newer stuff.

1 Like