What is rtax.criteo.com?

When I try to go to the rtax.criteo.com website, all that shows up is a blank screen.

I found the following description of Criteo at crunchbase.com/company/criteo.

“Criteo is the global leader in Performance Display. Thanks to Criteo, advertisers can reach more customers with the same return-on-investment as they get from search marketing. Every day Criteo generates millions of high-quality leads, through dynamically generated ads which are personalized with the products and services that consumers are searching for.

Criteo is measured purely on its post-click performance and offers a turnkey pay-per-click model including extensive real-time bidding tools, category and product level optimization and an in-house creative studio.
Criteo partners with over 2200 leading ecommerce brands and operates in 32 countries across 5 continents. For more information, please visit http://www.criteo.com.

Read more: http://www.crunchbase.com/company/criteo#ixzz2rEXX1HlW
Follow us: @crunchbase on Twitter | crunchbase on Facebook

In the past, weather.com always loaded in a few seconds on my computer, but recently started taking about one minute to load. Rtax.criteo.com is the reason. It must do whatever it does first before weather.com can load.

I always browse the internet with cookies turned off. I don’t fully understand the Criteo description above and would like to know if rtax.criteo.com has affected me in ANY way.

Yesterday, I deleted my weather.com bookmark and started using the National Weather Service at weather.gov to get my local weather report.

Am I being too cautious?

d2

Uh, sounds like a malware site…

Definitely “snake oil,” in any case.

The “lead-generation web sites” didn’t last too long before people (customers and businesses alike) got wise to what they were actually doing. They were trying to sell “sales leads,” which companies were supposed to bid for in real time. Didn’t take too long to figure out that the leads were spam; junk. Which you wouldn’t know until you’d already paid for it and were attempting to follow-up.

Fundamentally, people do not want their websites (or email boxes or anything else …) to be filled with advertisements, “targeted” or not. Plus, you really don’t know “what the customer is serching for.”

Caveat emptor.