What is the best way to make seamless textures and what is the best software to use as long it is not to expensive.
I use the offset function in Photoshop. I’m pretty sure Gimp has that as well.
I was actually wanting to know the best way to make textures from scratch
I as an avid texture lover I can easily answer your question by saying; yes. In other words, there is no “Best” way to make your own textures. However, I would strongly suggest doing the following and see what works best for you.
- Create textures in blender using it’s built in features. PerlinNoise, Magic, Marble, etc.
- Take photographs and make them seamless.
- Try out the free demo of Filter Forge. If you submit enough good textures, they even give you a free copy. (See www.filterforge.com)
- Try drawing seamless textures in software such as Photoshop, gimp, or even with Blender itself.
- Go to www.cgtextures.com, download a few images and make them seamless.
I strongly encourage you to watch the video in the link above; not because I made it, but because it does show you how to make photos seamless in both Gimp and Blender; which is pretty fundamental to making your own textures. Good luck.
Nice Video but i Know how to do that.
I will give Filter forge a try.
Filter forge is awesome, but not free, and really not cheap either. I did the 30 day trial, and made a bunch of textures. There are a few filters that make it worth the price though - a wood filter, and a stone filter. Wonderful.
gimp has an option for making tillable textures, you of course need to make it first. I am still trying to learn the technique.
the fast/easiest way is to use the “Make seamless” ( or tillable?)filter, in the Filters-Map section!
Unfortunately, most of the times the image needs to be rearranged !
Or, you can use the powerful “Resynthesize” filter ( Filters-Map, but not shipped with Gimp)!
Unfortunately, big computing power needed ( or lots of empty time)!