What is the name for the menu on the left hand side of the Graph Editor?

The one that allows you to control visibility and locking of individual channels…

What is that referred to officially?

Well, it’s obviously not the “tool shelf”. I ended up with the alliterative name of “Channel panel”

i would call it the tree-view of the available fcurves (graph-data shown in 2D).

You are right. It is probably a more accurate name. It would be nice if some developer who knows what the fine Blender folks called it would chime in.