What is wrong with the physics?

For some reason you can walk through walls I tried different solutions but can’t figure it out. http://www.filefront.com/15322467/apocalypsebuild.blend.zip

Hello
when using “physics” don’t use “Loc” to move your “player”, but “Force” instead, or even better “Servo Motion”
Do a search in the forum for some good setup/tips!
Bye

No I want the player to move a a consistant rate and not be sliding around.

Servo Motion is quite sophisticated…give it a try!

Do you mean, that since your char. is dynamic, he slides down hills. When in reality he woulf just stand there, and thats what you want? Because that happens to me too!!!

How do I use servo control?

Well, the usual way is to experiment a lot…yes, quite boring!
But you’re a lucky person, cray have made a little tut:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=152446
Bye

Here’s a basic explanation of why loc is bad:

Loc moves your character the amount put into the X,Y, and Z fields on every logic tic and DOES NOT take physics into account at all. You can think of it as a sort of “teleportation.”

The result of this is that sometimes loc will “teleport” your character through a wall. Sometimes the physics engine will correct your character’s position if it’s been teleported halfway into the wall, but that correction can place your character on either side of the wall.

Servo uses force to help your character achieve a target velocity. There are plenty of posts on Servo, so search the forum and you’ll figure out how to use it… Also, as Oto said, EXPERIMENT!

-Sam

thanks I never knew that I always thought that it was a physics bug with blender. and thats why sodi(secrets of diamond island) sucked. It was a maze… and you could walk through the walls. it was extremely easy. lol

The player slides .Does anyone have a fix. because it causes the character to slide but I need the friction of the character to be 1. and the only way to get servo motion to workis to turn friction off or make it really low.

OK, forget Servo Control, try “Force” instead ( a big setting probably, 180?).
Then add Materials to all objects and play with “Friction” settings, this depending if your character must climb slopes or need to “go down”!
Bye

Here is the file please help me by finding a fix to get the main character to stop sliding

http://www.filefront.com/15375811/apocalypsebuild.blend.zip

Ramp up the damp value on the player.

arbiter… Experiment! Servo motion has a way to stop sliding… My game uses it! I use servo motion!

The only thing you have to do to not make it slide is make a servo acuator, then enable Z and the axis you are NOT moving not… So if your moving on the Y axis, then enable X and Z, if your moving on X, then enable Y and Z.

Make it activate when your NOT pressign any keys. That way, you won`t move when you don’t press anything.

That pretty much sums it up.

Linkxgl I don’t think you understand. download the file and select the player(btw its a cube). and then see if you can make it move right, but first press p and see the horrors of bad player physics.

force? you don’t use force in an FPS:no:. did they not say servo? just to help you a bit, i fixed it. HERE. :mad:

sorry if i sound like an a**hole, but i swear i told you the exact same thing before. :confused:

edit: the amount of jump linV is a bit much sometimes. you can pull it down a bit.

OTO

OK, forget Servo Control, try “Force” instead ( a big setting probably, 180?).
Then add Materials to all objects and play with “Friction” settings, this depending if your character must climb slopes or need to “go down”!
Bye

and he’s a mod

force and fps never work out as the player, unless you’re in a car, and even then it’s torque. i don’t know what he was thinking.

if your guy is still sliding, you can amp up the friction of the player material, but then you will cave to increase the force to move him… wait, no you won’t. your not using force… ugh, your using servo… nver liked servo… oh well

but still, you can try increasing the friction of the player object, this will fix him sliding down hills.

don’t know if i helped at all,

-theuncool1

Oh well…this thread starts to look like a never ending american soap ( the young and the restless?)…