What is your creative process?

Hello,

I was working with 3D modelling some time ago (mainly for archaeological reconstruction and visualization) and recently rediscovered it as a bloody hobbyist artist. So my level of interest is as high as my level of creativity :wink:

I discover on myself the flow of ideas, which are mostly long forgotten by the time I am sitting in front of a sketch board or blender again. Also I observe how ideas change, drift away or are altered in the process.

I am simply curious to hear from you your experience with capturing ideas or thoughts and sticking to it during the often long process. Do you use pen and paper sketches or do you note your ideas down? How do you start a project and keep focused? How do you define the scope and not scope?

I am very curious to hear :slight_smile:
Ciao

Me, too. I end up spending waaaaaaay too much time learning and relearning all the various Blender features/procedures needed to do something (anything!) and totally lose interest by the time I’ve half-figured it out. (sigh)

• Going in Circles

In a “similarly archaeological” situation, and being a person who basically “cannot draw,” I start fairly immediately with Blender. “Throw something on the screen.” Objects are, at first, geometric shapes – each one with a label.

At first – “throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.”

Later, I start paying attention to scale. “Exactly how big” is the set, and exactly how big is this object? Even though I don’t know what it looks like, I know where it might be, and in any case, where it is.

Since “no studio boss can b*tch at me for wasting too much film,” I “waste film” with abandon. All of it, these days, using the “Workbench” renderer. Then, I spend a whole lot of time with a video editor.

I feel a bit lost in the possibilities in Blender. I start with a certain idea, but in the end I get lost in just trying out this or that, loosing the original idea or just creating something else, I wasn’t planning in the beginning :wink:

1 Like

It is a darn good thing actual film is obsolete then. It used to be when I was a kid, that I could count on my mother not making us spend too much time looking at the camera because it used film, and the film would quickly run out if she was too much of a shutterbug. Now though, my infant nephew will not have that assurance because every shot will save to a digital drive that could hold tens of thousands of images (so you can just belt out shots and not waste anything).

I don’t think I’ve honestly completed a single project in all the years I’ve been using Blender. I constantly experiment to see what works and what doesn’t, spitting out objects, endlessly tweaking them, combining them together to see if they work well in a scene, then replace things one by one when I do something I like better. Sometimes, I’ll end up with something I think looks neat, and I’ll post it.

2 Likes

Sounds very familiar! :wink:
Same here, as I am new to Blender, I am still surprised by all the (theoretical) possibilities and start playing around with issues like “how to get a simulated rain drop on a light bulb” and so on.
I recently started to actually do paper sketches to keep on the track …

Initially I was just liked to try out features and press buttons in Blender. Whatever everything new would come out I would just use Blender for the sake of it, doing lots of experiments and stuff.

But I am now gone through that phase, and I have started putting effort into sharpening my artist skills. Only pencil and paper, and hundreds of A7 papers. I have proceeded from smiley faces to relatively good cartoon characters, relatively standard level, not pro. But since I reached a goal now I think of stop practicing sketching. I mean that going from “Sanic” to “Sonic” is a big deal for me and it was really needed, but now I won’t consider putting all of my resources into becoming master of the pencil. :slight_smile:

Now I am ready to jump into learning more about studio production workflows. Possibly about developing storyboards or production management. If someone of you knows the best approach to the subject something drop some info here.

I’m a visual type, so I get distracted easily by ZBrush Blender artists’ beauty shots. So I remind myself I am creating a story world - by writing often. Writing as in screenplay outlines and plot rewrites.

To prevent myself from getting overly involved in nitty gritty technical explorations (in Blender or ZBrush), which can also be fun in itself, I make myself run around internet collecting visual “envy images”, and plaster them into PureRef.

When I feel discouraged, I also watch and fill up my private “come on if they can pull this off so can you” YouTube playlists to remind myself why I’m following this masochistic pursuit in the first place!