What is your favourite thing about blender

Please give me your opinion on blender

1 Like

May I suggest you ‘seed’ the conversation by listing the things YOU like about Blender? Posting it like this is lazy and not a good way to get any engagement.

6 Likes

I got the impression that he hasn’t been using blender. Maybe he just wants to know why we use blender.

Well I’ll start it off. I like blender because it is a self contained and portable graphics pipeline. It can do motion tracking, modeling, sculpting, photorealistic rendering, animation, video editing, compositing, image editing, and more all in a 140 megabyte executable. For me, the fact it is free is just the icing on the cake.

2 Likes

The price… :facepunch:

2 Likes

The lack of render node license fees combined with being able to run on Linux.
The former because it enables the user to rent lots of cheap CPUs and the latter because renting Linux boxes is even cheaper than renting Windows boxes.

1 Like

I like Blender primarily because of its similarity to the competition of products like Maya. Similar in the sense that it offers an alternative for the same tools. I would not say it is the price as much as it is the tools. I am currently at least supporting by joining the cloud. So it is not really free - by choice. Though the user license is certainly attractive for a small studio such as mine.

There are a lot of features that are not similar to other commercial products. And they are often sited as reasons Blender is not accepted. I think this is B.S. The many things about Blender that are in fact different from other apps is because this is by careful thought and design. These unique things, which you have to take the time to learn, have a pay-off of faster and more efficient ways to work.

But you have to spend time and dedicate yourself to the study of it, to find out which is ironic. But this is true with every app. You can not open it and expect to get familiar within a few hours. It takes weeks and months.

And only then can you find the things you like about Blender and only then can you understand what other people are talking about.

6 Likes

Eevee and animation

The animation workflow with no transform manipulator or precise mouse clicking needed!

3 Likes

Absolutely! I love that if I want to move something and then flip it in a particular axis, it’s just like typing a word. It’s so fast. Pressing g to move is also something that’s totally weird at first, but once you get used to it, you disable the annoying manipulator and move with precision and speed. I don’t think I’ve ever used a dcc app with a manipulator that didn’t annoy me in some way (including Blender), so being able to work without it is great.

Other than that, Blender is powerful, with the modifier system enabling a non-destructive workflow, cycles is great, the fact it can be easily and very quickly installed without limitations is amazing (even if it weren’t free) and the community is pretty great. With tons of video tutorials on YouTube, and sites like Blender Stack Exchange existing to answer user’s questions it’s by far the easist 3d tool to pick up and learn.

Oh yeah, the developers are amazing too. They actually listen to bug reports, and when stuff is broken, it usually gets fixed pretty quickly :slight_smile: Oh, and Blender is the most stable 3d program I’ve used, and it also launches way faster than anything else.

I think I could write forever why I love Blender, but I guess the fast and efficient keyboard workflow is the #1 reason.

4 Likes

For me its obviously Ton, he is a very big reason why Blender is what it is and without him I doubt any full blown open source 3d app would exist in its place.

About the software itself, its that it tries to be so many things at the same and I really like that I can use Blender for pretty much anything, not just 3d graphics.

Feature itself, definetly sculpting. I love organics modeling and using sculpting to do it, Blender has a very good implementation and works very well together with its polygon tools.

6 Likes

Shortcut oriented workflow (i used to it so much, that i’m disgusted if i cant set shortcut for something (in other apps too :P)) , community, addons, paid addons, ability to change something in code if i really want to.

3 Likes

I learned the basics on it and never tried a different tool. You don’t love your parents because of a specific thing, just by what they are because they were with you since the beginning.

(but manual retopology seems much better there than in other programs cof cof zbrush cof cof)

1 Like

The default cube

3 Likes

You.

I don’t say it enough, but this community and the wider Blender community at large (artists, developers, educators, trainers) is one of Blender’s most powerful features. Yeah, I use Blender every single day, both for work and for fun, but without the community, it’d just be a tool to get work done. We are what makes Blender so much more than that for me.

8 Likes

I made this yesterday just to show my kids that computers can make wonderful things. https://blenderartists.org/uploads/default/original/4X/0/c/e/0ce2bfc13aa43ae612e47970a695c5271570b2f3.mp4

Blender is amazing for creativity.

2 Likes

it does everything you could ever possibly want, without a subscription fee or even a one time payment. its free, fun and can run without crashing once on my potato which costs next to nothing itself.

2 Likes

a) it’s cross-platform. I use Windows, macOS and Linux, and I have the same Blender everywhere. Even back in the days when I used BeOS, there was a Blender port.
b) Everything it does. It’s a very capable program.
c) It’s open source. I can fix things, add things or try out ideas in code.
d) It pays my bills

4 Likes

Extensibility and being cross-platform are extremely appealing aspects of the software, but I’d also have to agree with a previous poster: Blender Foundation’s commitment to the software staying no-cost and open-source makes it a premium app on my Mac, on my Linux box and even, when I feel like doing something in Poser, which is rare, I’ll bring Blender up in Windows to add or modify 3D content.

Very much looking forward where Blender goes next. I have a little add-on for it (facilitates putting skin shaders on Poser-type figures) and I’m keen to see how it runs in 2.8. Oh, and failed to mention, the fact that Blender is in active, vibrant development with high visibility makes it totally stand out as cutting-edge software!

1 Like

well my list could be so long probably i could write a whole book about it haha…however i have been using blender for about a year now, i tried it couple years back then, but couldn’t get around it’s unorthodox methods , and i only switched when i saw one of Pablo’s videos who caught my attention with 2.8, since then, never looked back.
the favorite things i like about blender including the 2.8 are.
1 - the team behind it including the BDFL , Devs/Artists teams…etc.
2 - how blender is small in size before and after download and doesn’t need installation,
3 - loads instantaneously, so even if it crashes i can fire it up again without having to wait, that adds up wasted time in other DCCs.
4 - the concept of non-modal, non-blocking non-overlapping paradigms, which frees u form repetitive clicks and switching between tools.
5 - Best Hard-Surface Add-ons.
6 - the ability to use Annotation tool(i won’t talk about the grease pencil that’s something very special to me) in most of the editors even on a rendered image and on each key-frame.
which btw u can use it in the view-port and snap it to the surface and it’s not lock to just
screen space .
7 - BSurfaces Add-on, creating geometry with just strokes is pretty impressive.
8 - the incredible open source atmosphere with it’s incredible community.
9 - the whole 2.8 project.
…etc etc

2 Likes

My favourite aspect of Blender is how accessible it is to install & use. It’s free - so cost is not an issue. It’s cross-platform - so whether you are a Mac or a PC, you can still use it. And installation is a matter of extracting a zip file - no anti-piracy measures, network-licensing, or other hassles.

Being able to go from the decision to get into 3D and actually pushing polygons around (or sculpting, or animating, etc) in under half an hour without spending a cent is something that other applications have a hard time matching.

4 Likes