What it takes to get in the Game industry

I am soon to finish high school and in need to pick a college(if thats how its called) to go to. Now im having a lot of conflict as to what college i should go to,as it determines what i will do in life.

So im currently finishing engineer high school and “looking” to go to a state engineer college as that way if i am good enough of a student i wont have to pay for it.The reason why im “looking” for a engineer college is cause thats the thing i like the most after modeling and doing art in general (which is my hobby currently).
What i really wanna do as my job,or do in life generally is work in a game industry,or somewhere as a artist/designer to make new worlds and make miracles happen :smiley: .

Now what i am afraid is that if i go to a engineer college that it will suck all the free time i have (because engineer college is really hard here) and that i will lose focus is my hobby.

And my biggest fear is that i could newer possibly be as good as people who pay a lot to go to a college for 3d graphics or related (vfx studio traning center stuff like that).

So im just asking and desperately wanting a explanation as to do you really need a diploma and to go to a college in order to end up in a game studio or something similar to that?

Is it possible to focus on it even when you are going to a college not related to it? :S

Game industry is quite different in a way that you don’t really need papers or diplomas. You need actual skills and if you can show it you’re most likely hired by some company or you can start your own. It’s only the ability to produce things needed in games. But these days it’s tough competition. Lots of small (and big) game companies hope they can create the next hit game.

Usually 3D modeling/artist skills show early, you need only couple of years (even less) training to realize your skills. If it doesn’t happen then, I think it wont happen at all.

maybe the area of industrial automation, skada/siemens/plc hardcore c++; in the end you need to find a job that gives you perspective.
I know a guy who got a university degree on 3d stuff and rendering, wrote his own render engine; but in the end he works as a head of an ICT devision for IKEA or a company like that, not using any 3d and programming skills. What you learn and what you endup with are not always the same (most often its different).

I think you also be aware that people in some countries are a lot cheaper in making games, or to hire for making games.
i dont know the game dev industry but i know the general ICT dev, so cheap labor is your ‘enemy’ it might be low hanging fruits to think that playing games is like making games. If your a risk taker and have the funds, you could think of becomming a game dev company, but that requires skills much different as from people who like to create stuff in blender.

I myself work in engineering as a c# c++ coder, and i can say having blender in your CV does help in this area. The area is still dominated by autocad and others and those programs are not that good in rendering / animating as compared to Blender. It might be atractive to have you as a say leed c++ designer work on some machine, and to have you also as for making a sales picture.
Well that worked for me.

Succes with your choises.

So im just asking and desperately wanting a explanation as to do you really need a diploma and to go to a college in order to end up in a game studio or something similar to that?
Why not make the effort and go and ask them.
If you can’t even do that then I can only assume you have no great desire to be in the games industry. If you don’t really have that desire maybe you’d be just wasting your time even thinking about it.

At your point in life, it may appear that you must make “a rest-of-your-life-defining decision,” and it may also seem that whatever decision you now make will actually be applicable to “the rest of your life.” :slight_smile:

The good news is: “it ain’t so.” On both points.

You have options, and (bless you …) you presumably also have time.

I would suggest that you pursue your present course: go to college, especially if you can get the expense mostly paid-for by someone else. (Don’t wind up “a quarter-million dollars in debt!”) You will learn a lot about learning, and you will also complete something that is actually still-valued: a college diploma.

When I completed my undergraduate degree, personal computer(!) were still very much a novelty. The electronic devices that we now take for granted did not exist and were barely imaginable. (I watched all this stuff being developed, which by-the-way was seriously cool…) From my point-of-view, then, “the modern-day games industry” is a very new thing, and also a very ephemeral thing.

Of it I can with absolute certainty say one thing: “It will change. Quickly.” The skills that you may acquire will always have a very short shelf-life. Ergo, if you try to hitch “your entire future” to an assessment of these things as they stand now, hell, they might well be judged worthless in two, five, at-most ten years. “Moore’s Law” shows no sign whatsoever of slowing down.

However, if you genuinely enjoy what you are doing, you can … and will … “always adapt.” More than thirty-five(!) years later, I am still “making my living from my hobby.” People know me, respect me, and even seek me out, for my work, my guidance, and my opinions. (I am “a [software …] consultant” in the literal sense of the term.) I’m still doing for people more-or-less what I have always done for them.

And I still enjoy it. I still love to reply: “You’re welcome. And would you please like to take a stack of my business cards?” :yes:

There is an excellent book called, Do What You Love, and The Money Will Follow. Take it to heart. Life will always present you with an ever-moving target, especially(!) if you work in high technology. But, there will always be people involved. (Or, maybe not: if you “like to work with wires” and want to “work with wires” every day and “wear your pocket-protector with pride” and never interact with customers, those kinds of jobs exist, too.)

(Ahem.) Now, please pardon me for sounding like your father … :rolleyes: “It’s a helluva ride, this thing called ‘life.’ Be sure that you enjoy it.”

I am not so sure myself on what it takes to get into the industry… would love some advise on that also.

I think as long as you put in the hard work, you will be good as good.
I got published on “3D Artist” magazine and feature on Coroflot but still can’t find a job on 3d related field, so I think you need to be put a lot of hard work.

Be nice, do what you love and work your ass off to make your life worth living and this world a happier/better place with you around… gentle, quiet, calm, with a smile on all our faces.

Cherish your imagination as you strive with vision of the future. Practice more than needed and the Industry will come to you.

per aspera ad astra

And while doing all of that develop a high tolerance for low paychecks… :wink:

No, low paycheck is for incompetent full or talented idiot :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm… perhaps it´s different elsewhere but here in Germany good money can be made with automotive viz, industrial viz and commercials in general.
Gaming often pays rather meh in my experience.
Too many gaming positions offered as exploitative internship positions is one of the reason my interest in game dev decreased a lot.
That and the notion that a lot of the process of 3D stuff for games consists of optimization.

If you go into gaming I suggest looking into game or level design as opposed to solely creating art assets.
Esspecially if you are interested in engineering.

Games industry is tough, long hours, low pay, many deadlines. You can of course have a great career in games, but you have to really love it to endure and progress.

Some random thoughts from someone who’s worked in the game industry in the past and currently does not.

Go to college for engineering. Work on your hobby in your spare time. That hobby could become your career. If it doesn’t, you can be an engineer. If you don’t go to college and just dive into games and fail, you can always go back to college, but likely not with it being paid for like you said. Be patient, go to school, take care of your financial well being and pursue your dream responsibly.

Anyone that thinks they won’t have time for their hobby is just simply prioritizing their social life above it. There’s always time. It’s just a matter of choices and time management.

The game industry does not give a rat’s ass about a college degree. They care if you’re good at making games.

The game industry is a tough, highly competitive industry to get into, and if you get in, you will struggle with things like meager salaries, long work hours and poor job stability. You CAN make good money in games. It’s just that only a few people do. And you must be willing to travel all over the world to keep your career going, since studios rise and fall almost at random all the time.

The game industry is HIGHLY volatile. The AA market is pretty much gone, leaving huge AAA budget development (highly competetive, highly exclusive, high risk) and indie development (lots of little players, easier to get into, low or no pay, also high risk). As you go through school and hone your art skills, pay attention to the changing market to see where you might fit. The market will likely shift dramatically in the next few years just as it has shifted dramatically in the past few years.

Hi Nikolapavic,

I’m very cautious in handing out advice for anyone, so take this lightly but I hope it helps.
Also I thought it would be good to add my bit to this thread for any others on here who might be facing similar decisions.

Firstly having also worked quite a lot in the games industry, I have to agree with many of the points raised in the post just above mine. It’s the raw untamed Wild West out there basically and shows no signs of settling down anytime soon.

Also I would just like to reaffirm that the games and animation industry as I’ve known it in the past many years is still based far more on your past work, ability, aptitude and experience and who you know. Far more than it ever is on any sort of formal qualifications. There are so many good online learning options around now too. Starting with CG Cookie obviously and Blender Cloud. The quality level of teaching now is mostly superb.

If you have a talent and a chance to study for a formal qualification in engineering then I would think seriously about sticking with it. You will still be able to stay with games and interactive media as a sideline. I’m sure if you are passionate enough about it then you won’t be giving it up and will always find the time. The industry is full of people who came to it from other spheres and it helps to enrich it so much more. I once worked on a space exploration game startup where the lead coder was an astrophysics grad. Think how much value your engineering background could bring to a games or interactive media project ? Having another area of expertise is a way of really standing out. It also makes you a more rounded experienced person overall and will give you far wider perspectives and life experiences.
Besides the 3D interactive industry is expanding all the time into so many other area’s and specialties. I’m worked on so many projects that involved needing to illustrate a fairly detailed level of engineering, archeology or biology accurately. So with this opportunity you have right now… I would think it would be better to go with an academic qualification that would give you more career options in the future. It’s certainly doesn’t mean giving up on an eventual games and interactive media career. Far from it. And life is never set in stone. Especially in those years just after high school.