What keyboard do you use?

I’ve heard lots of people say they’ve use them fine on a PC. Here’s a thread I found on Google that cover some issues you might have:

http://www.computing.net/mac/wwwboard/forum/2329.html

One about the wireless keyboard:

http://www.wi-fitechnology.com/Wi-Fi-Products-B0000DBJ8A.html

You can get drivers to sort out some of the issues:

http://www.trinityworks.co.jp/US/software/AppleKPro/index.php

Or this registry hack that remaps your keys in case they don’t do what you want:

http://www.randyrants.com/sharpkeys/

That DAS keyboard looks pretty cool. I already touch type everything so my speed wouldn’t increase though…

But I’ve been happy with my Logitech keyboard. Just don’t install their free junkware diskette after plugging it in.

The thing that bothers me about PC keyboards is the stupid CapsLock key is in the Wrong Place. Ever wonder why there’s a gap between the caps and A key? Because in testing people kept wanting to use the caps as a control. Gap introduced: hitting caps made harder. So sad.

Anyway, I always change my capslock to control and swap that stupid left “windows” button for the caps. May not be the best layout, but at least the control key is where it ought to be now…

I’ve got the SaItek Gamers Keyboard. I won it at a LAN party, and it GLOWS!

Sam

Wh… that’s What is is? Oh weird. The Sun machines at school have keyboards with the Caps Lock and Ctrl keys switched but it bugs the heck out of me. Guess I’m just used to PC keyboards… been using them since I was ~7.

I’ve been using a keyboard since age 1 and 1/2… and i’ve used a few keyboards with teh control and caps switched… holy crap, can’t do it. Messes me up… what am I going to use for crouch?

Sam

Would you say that’s a rugged, high-quality keyboard that can take a beating (or two)?

Thanks again everyone, Ill have to go to a comp shop and try out a few, see what they’re like.

Ill have a go at the apple one, sounds like a plan.

Any more suggestions?

Ian

Actually microsoft keyboards are far more ergonomic than most.

Mac (Apple) Keyboards are so unergonomic that we have 3 students who are studying ergonomic with RSI as a direct result of using Apple Keyboards.

“Apple and ergonomics” for Mice and Keyboards are two things which don’t go in the same category.

their 3/4 keyboards are especially bad.

the thing which is good about them is they look nice (till they get dirty when they look terrible)

i would get a dvorak, and shaped keyboard. a little bit of learning but you will not need to pay thousands of dollars so early to get your carpel tunnels cut inh surgery.

Alltaken

I use a Kensington Slimtype Keyboard for Mac (on my PC). It’s white/chrome trim and has media buttons and a sleep button. It’s also available for PC in black/chrome. I bought this keyboard because I like laptop keyboards with their very low profile keys and sturdier feel. The arrow keys and home, pageup/down, end keys are vertical along the right side of the keyboard + a numpad. It’s wicked awesome and beautiful to look at. I hate regular keyboards (except the Apple Pro white kybd I bought for my G3) because they’re too big and too loud when typing. I prefer them to be very thin and as small as possible while having all the 104+ keys. This Kensington’s pretty sweet for $40. The only drawback vs. the Apple Pro is the lack of integrated USB ports, to which I’ve grow accustom. PC keyboards don’t have USB ports, so you don’t know what you’re missing till they aren’t there.

Oh yeah… I’ve dropped it, spilled chips and water into it, and regularly pack it up to go to LAN parties, which means I shove it into my backpack and throw it into the back of my car. Plus it gloooows a really awesome shade of blue… I love it :stuck_out_tongue:

Sam

If you want a sweet head turning keyboard, check out the bade boy I just brought home:

http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/eclipse.html

That is one insane keyboard. Looks awesome at night with the lights out. I have been very happy with it so far.

Looks like the new model of mine =p

That’s just 'cos the keyboards look so good, they are masturbating all the time.

Yeah that happens to my car too. If only there was some sort of process I could think of to remove this ‘dirt’. Nope I’m all out. Guess I’ll have to get a new car.

So that’s where all my money’s gone. I should have got Applecare after all, I think it includes Carpel tunnel surgery. Even if M$ keyboards are more ergonomic, you’re still more likely to suffer RSI from repeatedly pressing ctr-alt-del.

Even if M$ keyboards are more ergonomic, you’re still more likely to suffer RSI from repeatedly pressing ctr-alt-del.[/qoute]

Of course, such an un1337 anti-|-|/\x0r keyboard could only be used on a Microsoft OS. :wink:

[quote]i would get a dvorak, and shaped keyboard. a little bit of learning but you will not need to pay thousands of dollars so early to get your carpel tunnels cut inh surgery.

Since I dont look at the keyboard anyway, I was planning on getting a shaped keyboard and then remapping the keys.

Do you use a dvorak? If so, how did you find the transition? Did you notice much of a difference?

Looking at my hands while I type, its obvious how much my hands are moving round the 'board

Learning dvorak sounds like a fun challenge (god im sad), Im learnin shorthand now (not the lol, asl, wtf!!!1 kind).

Ian