What kind of tutorials do you like most?

I have no time to blend seriously at the moment, but I want to make a series of small yet effective tutorials especially for beginners. The easiest way is to do them in Word and release them as PDF files. Although I do like PDF (because I like to have stuff on paper), I would like to hear your thoughts.

What kind of tutorials do you enjoy most, which have the strongest learning effect on you?

this doesn’t relate to your question, but FLASH is a far more compact format, and there is alot more you can do with it. I’m through with PDFs after comparing the two. If you decide to try flash I recommend a free program called ‘powerbullet presenter’. very cool program. there is also ‘wink’ by debugmode.

Wink is an option, but it’s not suitable for any tutorial.

I prefer HTML. PDFs are good for printing but I dont like viewing PDFs on screen for some reason. Even though that’s what they were designed for. That might be because my computer is slow though.

If you’re going to go the Word->PDF route then it could be a good time to try and standardise future Blender tutorials by making a Word template that could then go on blender3d.org?

with powerbullet, you can do just about anything you want, including inserting html objects, mp3s, and writing custom animation scripts ( or using the ones already supplied ).

I like small tutorials which walk you through the steps (every step) of making something simple. That way you can clearly understand the method without being distracted by the comlexities of the object itself. The 30 minute gingerbread man comes to mind. I’d like to see tutes like that which walk you through the use of all the features.

[edit]

just a thought,…there’s always .blend format, with conveinient text window, etc.

That’s a great idea Modron. How about doing a tute on doing a .blend tute? :stuck_out_tongue:

I think these are only useful when you already know what you are looking for, e.g. material settings. I don’t think they are helpful for beginners

Thanks for doing this nico.
As you know there are gobs of beginning modelling tutes.
These are fine, and always useful, but IMO we really could use some tutes that incorporate more recent features for which there is virtually no documentation.

There’s tons of stuff. Some of it still experimental. Some not. But all of it needing more documentation. Things like the new uv editing tools, rendering with YafRay from Blender, using the new procedural textures, using LSCM mode for uv unwrapping, the enhanced partical effects, Softbodies, and the ramp shader.

I guess it’s not possible to keep up with the speed of development. My aim is rather to help with the most common beginner mistakes, such as the subsurf-subdivide-set smooth-confusion.

Ok. Well how about a good explanation of the materials editor?
It really used to give me fits. Specificaly properly assigning materials to the correct faces. This is pretty important to get down before you go on to texturing and stuff.

I have to ditto the .blend file tutorial idea. The .blend basics training tutorial is a perfect example of how to do it.

http://www.d.umn.edu/~dhomich/training/basic_training.zip

I’m sure you seen it?

I’ll throw an idea in. :slight_smile:

You could make a series of tutorials, that are all part of one project. For example, the project could be to make a whole scene, and you would go through each part of making the scene (i.e. modeling, materials, textures, lighting, rendering). Each part would be covered in a tutorial.

It could be useful for getting new users to work with all parts of blender from the beginning.

Those who have learned to model, but not learned how to work with materials, or textures, could just do the tutorial for materials, or textures. You could provide a blend file with each tutorial.

The blend file that comes with the materials/texture tutorial could contain the model(s) to work on.

-three-dee

Animation - Using Gus
How to work with the NLA editor using Gus. Walk cycles, flips, turning around, jumping etc.
How to work with the Action Editor, RVKS using Gus.
How to work with weight painting using Gus.
Understanding Contraints using Gus.

I think following on from the Gus quick start tutorial in the Blender Manual would not only be useful for beginners but would also add to the documentation development. It would be good for beginners to take what they have already created in the Gus tutorial to understand the basics of the NLA and Action Editors, weight painting, RVKS etc. As it is, beginners like myself have to wade through the current documentation which doesn’t use Gus as an example or other older tutorials just tp get a basic idea how to use these features. To put it another way, as a beginner I would like to know:

How would I make Gus walk, jump, turn etc using the NLA and action editor?
How would I make Gus smile or frown using RVKS?
How would I use weight painting or contraints using Gus?

If you can answer those questions for me, you have just started on your beginners tutorial.

Thanks for the offer.

gaiamuse

[edit]

I’m thinking about creating a few tutorials too once I get my website up and running.

I think its important not to re-invent the wheel so if a tutorial exists somewhere else that covers the same thing there is little point in doing it again. blender3d.org already provides a central location that categorizes tutorial links so I don’t think it is important for any individual to provide a comprehensive set of tutorials.

the focus of new tutorials should be on things not already covered.

Maybe tutorials about;

New features
Project-based tutorials
Work-arounds to features not yet in Blender
Integrated workflow with other software

Then there is the issue of how to teach something that you have chosen to focus on;

paragraphs of text & referring diagrams
bullet points of general advice
specific step-by-step instructions & accompanying .blend file
a video walkthrough.

You could cover a topic already covered if you choose to go about it in a different way.

The continuity & progression of learning is left to the individual and influenced by the way they are presented in blender3d.org’s and tutorial section.

These r just my thoughts. [/i]

Well glad i seen this post. I am building a whole suite of tutorials for Blender in Flash. They will cover everything from beginning to advance.

I have been playing with Blender for the pass month practically full-time. I plan to use Blender to get people started in 3D modeling and animation on a new computer internet radio show i am putting together. It will cover everything about computers with a different subject each week.

All tutorials for the major software packages with be in Flash and available on the shows website (which is being built now). This is the first public mention of the show so everyone here is the first to get the scoop.

CyberSorcerer

I must say I HATE Flash for tutorials. You cannot print it, often resize it and so on.

The best way, is IMO, PDF as it’s portable, or plain old HTML. Always remember that, in a tutorial what is important is the content not a spiffy wrapping.

It’s not useful to provide a great number of pictures, but one at start where numbered dots indicate the steps and a final is very often enough.

another clean approach can be found here http://cal.jmu.edu/ratner/tutorials/

for things so unbvious that need video, use only mpeg, not avi nor divx nor any other format.